Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:45 PM
I'm typing this from my blackberry so please excuse any typing errors etc.
This is currently my only access to the internet so if possible please avoid from suggesting download links etc for certain programs and whatnot as I'm rather limited with what I can do.
recently my laptop got a virus (not the first time, I'm a download junkie, I bring it upon myself)
The other night it all froze up so I had to force it into shutdown (holding the power key)
Upon trying to reboot it goes straight to the Startup Repair menu.
Yes, I know there is a guide about how it works but after reading it, I'm still confused.
I've had a similar problem before involving a crash dump/bluescreen error but it somehow fixed itself.
Anyway. During Startup Repair, it finds no apparent way of dealing with the unknown problem
I'm then of course given the options of command prompt, system restore, windows memory diagnostics etc etc.
None of the options are helping.
System restore - I have no system restore points to allocate
Full Pc restore - I have data I don't have backed up properly so I'd rather not get it put into factory settings
Memory diagnostics - I run the test(s) and all it does is reboot, and go back to Startup Repair after finding no apparent errors.
Command prompt - I'm not a whizz with it so I'm not sure if any commands would help. CHKDSK certainly isn't doing anything to help.
I don't have a Vista OS disc. All I have iis the following:
- HP Pavilion DV5 1009 running on Vista (4GB RAM, 250GB HDD (practically full)) this is what in trying to fix
- Elements External Hard Drive 1TB (completely clean)
- 'HP Recovery Discs 1 & 2', these came with it. It's a 2 year old laptop. I've tried booting with either in the drive to see if they'd work as a Vista OS disc but the system seems to ignore their presence (although it does make the usual 'disk found' noises and whirs inside)
- this Blackberry I'm typing from
- A few USB sticks and memory cards lying about.
- A tower unit from my desktop PC but I have no monitor to hook it up with.
Any help is appreciated. I just want to be able to access my files so I can at least backup what I can if a complete format is needed.
Thanks and sorry for being a noob. I can take pics of stuff from my phone and upload where necessary.