Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do i need to setup a 100/1000 Network?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BlueGazoo

BlueGazoo

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:32 PM

I cabled my place (couple of years ago) with a wired network (cables and jacks in the wall), and have a Linksys G Router. The network is 10/100 of course.

Months after i did this, I realized i should have set everything up for a gigbit network instead.

Today, I have to run one more cable to an upstairs room, and this cable is going to be a %&$*^ so i figure now i should upgrade so i don't have to redo it later.

My plan is:
1. By all the hardware that supports Gigabit. This includes Cables, Wall Jacks, Network Cards for Computers, and a Linksys N Router.
2. Run the new cable to the upstairs room. Install wall jack, etc.
3. Over the next few weekends, upgrade the other Cables and Wall Jacks .

Does anybody have any advice on this? For example, is there a faster network soon coming out in a couple of months? Are there other cables i should run at the same time? Etc...
I also have a few dumb questions:
A) Were gigbit networks an option for me a couple of years ago? Or was it new and too expensive? I'm just wondering if it was a big blunder on my part (and the store i went to for advice) not to start with gigabit back then.
:thumbsup: Will it be ok to upgrade the other 10/100's later? Will they all still work until i upgrade them?
C) I do have to upgrade the jacks, correct?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by BlueGazoo, 18 July 2010 - 03:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:28 PM

If you used cat5e cable it should work with 1000/gigabit, everything is backwardsly compatible so using cat 6 for your new wire will be fine and you can upgrade everything else piecemeal after testing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable

Bear in mind that Gigabit is pushing hard drive performance limits, and forget gigabit internet even if Google is testing it.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:47 PM

Your network is only going to be as fast as the slowest component. so upgrading 1 connection isn't going to make it faster untill you upgrade everything. When you wired your house did you use Cat5? Cat 5e? Cat 6? Gigabit has been out for a while now. I doubt copper will get any faster than that so unless you are going to wire your house with fiber gigabit will be just fine.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 BlueGazoo

BlueGazoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:35 PM

Thanks Chew, Cave for info and links

I checked. I originally used Cat5e so should be fine for Gigabit.

...But the Cat6 is even better: good for 10Gigabit Ethernet and has better shielding. There is also Cat 7, and the latest is Cat7a but can't find these in the stores so it must be pretty new stuff.

You may think this overkill, but I was just thinking if I'm going to wire something i might as well use the best. Also, I'm wiring this through the air ducts and the extra shielding should be worth while, no?

In the house i have 3 computers, a server, 2 PS3, a Wii, and a TV with Ethernet connection (so i can watch the great white and the zombies on Win7... lol)

Plus... that Google is testing the application of this sounds pretty awesome.

Edited by BlueGazoo, 18 July 2010 - 08:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users