Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network Safety

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Calebvision

Calebvision

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

Hi!

Just set up, with some help of folks on this board, my wireless network!

Anyone have any tips on how I can keep it "intruder free"?

Any feedback wil be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

If you set up WPA/WPA-2 with a 4 - 5 word sentence you'll be fine.

Look in the instructions that came with the router on how to do this =)

But make sure your wireless computers can do WPA/WPA-2

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Calebvision

Calebvision
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:57 PM

I have WPA2-PSK
Is that ok???

#4 smak451

smak451

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:39 AM

I have WPA2-PSK
Is that ok???

Yes. I've been mired in all of this after being hacked bad. From all I've read (a lot) WPA2-PSK is a mix of WPA & WPA2. To date there has been no known instance of even WPA being cracked with 6-8 completely random numbers/letters/characters (don't use real words and combined w/numbers for added peace of mind). WEP is a joke and can be cracked within minutes from software downloaded freely. You might also disable wireless router administration/configuration (so changes will have to be made hardwired) and disable remote login if you're re-creating Fort Knox. Also change your SSID from your home name (if it's been set up that way) to something less descriptive (like DexterMorgan). Cheers.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

Yes that is just what I mean. WPA2-PSK is perfect. You can use letters(caps or lower case and it matters), number, symbols and spaces for a password up to 64 characters. So if you just make up a sentence that is 4 - 5 words long, no one will ever be able to crack it. Simple Sentence example: I poke badgers with spoons -

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Calebvision

Calebvision
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

Yes that is just what I mean. WPA2-PSK is perfect. You can use letters(caps or lower case and it matters), number, symbols and spaces for a password up to 64 characters. So if you just make up a sentence that is 4 - 5 words long, no one will ever be able to crack it. Simple Sentence example: I poke badgers with spoons -

Thanks guys!

By "password" are you refering to "wirelss passphrase" or or "router admn password???

Please be patient...I'm learning!

My desktops have WPA2-PSK but the laptop has WPA2 without an option for wpa2-psk....is that ok????

#7 smak451

smak451

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

Thanks guys!

By "password" are you refering to "wirelss passphrase" or or "router admn password???

Please be patient...I'm learning!

My desktops have WPA2-PSK but the laptop has WPA2 without an option for wpa2-psk....is that ok????

Yes, either. If you search for stats it's estimated in a few places that to crack an 8 digit completely random WPA2 code it would take a supercomputer crunching 1 million bits of data/second something like 150 years to get into your computer (router admin). You're dealing with very large orders of magnitude, and WPA2 is better than the WPA2-psk.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

I mean wireless pass phrase.

Altho you should change your router access PW too since they are all standard, some variation of admin for user name and/or PW and its the same brand wide(ie Linksys = no user name and admin as PW for ALL their routers)

#9 Calebvision

Calebvision
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

Thanks much Cavedweller!

#10 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

Hmm..

I would go for MAC address filtering.

Its less stressful for the hardware.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users