Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Pages Alternately Loading Instantly or Very Slowly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jay in Cal

Jay in Cal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:58 PM

Hello:

Thank you for this forum. I discovered you at the HiJack This website.

I have a desktop PC running Windows XP. Haven't had any problems for a couple of years. Within the past couple of weeks I've had web pages load nearly instantly (as normal) and then alternate to loading very slowly (spinning and hanging) for a minute or more. It switches back and forth between instant and slow. No in between.

While the webpages hang, video continues to stream perfectly in a different window.

I use Firefox but the same problem persits with Chrome.

I have updated Java and uninstalled and reinstalled Flash.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox.

I started Firefox in Safe Mode and disabled add ons and reset about:config preferences to default but that did not help.

I have Avast running at all times.

I ran a Malware Bytes scan and it returned no problems.

I ran a Spybot Scan and it returned a few tracking cookies (as usual) which I fixed.

Two other computers on our home network run fine.

I downloaded Google Toolbar at about the same time this problem started and have since deleted the toolbar.

I have a HiJack this log if that would be helpful.

I'm self taught but certainly am no expert but I've always been able to solve all problems on my own. This one has me stumped!

Thank you for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:16 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Have you emptied your cache?

Internet Explorer, How and Why to Clear Your Cache - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/us...clearcache.mspx

You might also disable all add-ons, other than Java/Flash.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 July 2010 - 02:17 PM.

#3 Jay in Cal

Jay in Cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:02 PM

Thank you. I had already cleared my Firefox Cache but did it again. I cleared my IE cache though I don't use IE. I disabled all add ons other than Java/Flash. It actually seems to be getting worse during the course of the day. More periods of spinning/hanging, less periods of things working.

#4 Jay in Cal

Jay in Cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:49 PM

Fingers crossed but I think I may have solved the problem. I have been getting Data Execution Error messages when first starting Firefox but didn't think it was related to this issue. After a Google search, I read this:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/1/89043

I deleted Google Updater and for good measure Google Web Accelerator and so far so good. Maybe I downloaded the Updater when I downloaded the Google Toolbar? Anyway, that seems to have been the culprit. Hope this helps someone else some day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users