Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No POST Upg RAM 1-3-2 Beep

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kikercz

Kikercz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

Hey all,

**PC & RAM info below**

Need experienced advice on how to troubleshoot RAM hardware issue NOT getting past POST.

I went and bought 2 GB RAM after using scan tool on Crucial. Read instructions on Dell Manual and replaced old RAM with new and plugged back and got nothing except 1-3-2 beeps. No BIOS nothing on screen just these beeps. I checked Dell website that states this beep code is indicating the memory is not being detected. Searched several forums and nobody has troubleshooting steps.

Dell's troubleshooting says to re-seat and if problem continues then contact Dell , which I would do but warranty is expired. Most replies on forums (including this one) consist of either re-seat the RAM (which I've tried more than enough times) or replace motherboard. Not sure why the motherboard would suddenly fail and if it did fail wouldn't the beep code be a failed mobo beep code? I also have seen people suggest to reset NVRAM and CMOS, would either of these cause this problem? I also saw it could be something in the BIOS, but how do I get into that if I can't get past POST? Also if it was the BIOS shouldn't the original RAM work because I tried putting that back in and got the same result.

I would appreciate if anyone can suggest trying something that has worked for them in this situation and explaining how they accomplished that.

Thanks

PC INFO:
Dell Dimension 3000
Intel Pentium 4. 2.8 Ghz
Windows XP 32-bit

RAM INFO:
PSD2G400K Patriot Memory
2GB 2x1 PC3200 400MHz DDR Non-ECC
**Patriot Website indicates this is the RAM for my PC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

Here's an adhoc troubleshooting manual

Always unplug your power cord and wait a minute or so before changing or reseating ram.

Better safe than sorry

You need to reset your bios/clear cmos and see if you can get the old ram to post

If you can then try updating your bios and see if that gets the new ram to recognize.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...OM/j6758A04.pdf

Follow these directions exactly
The password jumper and removing the battery should clear cmos.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:51 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer.

Here is your dell support page link http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...t.htm#wp1056471

Here is you beep codes http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...t.htm#wp1056471

Here is your related code beeep code codes 1-3-1 through 2-4-4
Cause: Memory not being properly identified or used.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Kikercz

Kikercz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

Thank you MrBruce and Chewy for the replies...

Like I mentioned I've previously investigated Dell and many other sites (including the links) you sent to no avail. What I need is someone who has run into this problem and had made it work by either replacing the motherboard or doing some other action. There has to be someone who has had this type of problem and has successfully done something that can correct it. I've thought about everything and the most logical explanation for what is occurring is that the memory slots are no longer in working order. If that is indeed the case I will have to replace them or pay someone to do that for me. Most posts of similar problems do not give a working solution.

Also there is no way for me to enter the BIOS since I can't get past POST (Power On Self Test)

I am first going to try to reset the NVRAM which is not likely the problem since the previous RAM config is not the problem and that is likely what the NVRAM would have if it has anything.

Thanks and if anyone has a solution for this issue I would like to hear it even if it is that you took it into the shop and they replaced the motherboard, or you replaced it yourself, or you switched out parts, or you bought different RAM that worked, or etc..etc...

Edited by Kikercz, 18 July 2010 - 05:21 PM.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

Unplug the power, clear the password jumper, remove the battery, wait, replace. Reseat the old ram.

Power back up

If it doesn't post, then you have fried some electronics.

I have replaced hundreds of ram sticks and never had this problem.
Chewy

#6 Kikercz

Kikercz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

Thanks Chewy

I have tried that and it still doesn't work. Last night even let it sit without the battery for an hour.

Obviously fried electronics then, not sure how that would occur from just swapping memory, but I guess it is possible.

What could it be that I fried? The memory slots? That would mean I need a new motherboard since it is attached right?

That is what I was thinking might have happened since I was doing this whole thing in a hurry last night. For my wallets sake I was just hoping it could have been another reason.

Edited by Kikercz, 18 July 2010 - 05:21 PM.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:00 PM

Take a bright light and inspect the dimm slots, the only thing similar that's ever happened to me was caused by dirt and easily remedied with a cleaning.

Long ago and far away I used to fry components, sound card falling out of slot, no screw except the noob wookie that was in a hurry.
Chewy

#8 Kikercz

Kikercz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:26 PM

Yah apparently the force wasn't with me this time.

Some forums people say it is really difficult to damage the memory slots, yet somehow I figured out a way to do it. Hopefully it won't cost too much to fix. Still cheaper then buying a new one I guess.

Thanks for your replies.

Edited by Kikercz, 18 July 2010 - 05:20 PM.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

You may have disrupted a connection to the motherboard somewhere.

It happens when your concentrating on one thing and inadvertently disturbing something else.

Check connections, check expansion cards, sometimes adding memory stresses the motherboard when applying enough pressure to lock the modules into place.

Hopefully you took precautions against ESD damage, did you ground yourself to the computer case before touching anything inside the case?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 18 July 2010 - 03:32 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 Kikercz

Kikercz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:19 PM

Thanks Bruce...Yup had myself grounded with as strap. Doesn't look like anything was disturbed I checked all connections look good.

The memory slots must of been damaged when I first tried booting up, apparently I must of had the cards in incorrectly. That is what I get for doing things in a hurry. After the RAM was installed I was going to download Windows 7 upgrading from XP.

Now when I add in the cost of a new motherboard to what I was going to spend I almost would be paying the same as a new PC (an inexpensive one of course). I was checking new PC prices and it may be only slightly more (about $50-$100) to buy a new one then get this one fixed and upgraded, which is what I was attempting to do (the upgrading that is).

Thanks for the thoughts on it but unless the slots magically repair themselves I think I will be probably buying a new PC soon.

Edited by Kikercz, 18 July 2010 - 05:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users