Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win32/Alureon.H virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 stu80

stu80

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:04 AM

Hi

I have a virus on my pc, and through running all my security tools i cant seem to shift it. Threats are found but are not removed.

When i run Microsoft Security Essentials it picks up that it is a win32/Alureon.H Virus

I ran Combofix and it seems to have worked, or at least my pc works better than it used to as i couldnt even get on the internet before and have had no security pop ups

Combofix suggested that i still send a copy of the log to you guys to look at, see here it is

Any advise or help for what to do next is very much appreciated

Thanks

Attached File  ComboFix.txt   12.07KB   8 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:52 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those we suggest while we are cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so we know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process. Please also continue to work with me until I give you the all clear. Even if your computer appears to act better, you may still be infected.

Even if you have already provided information about your PC, we need a new log to see what has changed since you originally posted your problem.

Once we start working together, please reply back within 3 days or this thread may be closed so we can help others who are waiting.

We need to create an OTL report,
  • Please download OTL from this link.
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the icon on your desktop.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in:

netsvcs
    msconfig
    drivers32 /all
    %systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\system32\*.sys /90
    %systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
    %systemroot%\system32\Spool\prtprocs\w32x86\*.dll
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    /md5start
    eventlog.dll
    scecli.dll
    netlogon.dll
    cngaudit.dll
    sceclt.dll
    ntelogon.dll
    logevent.dll
    iaStor.sys
    nvstor.sys
    atapi.sys
    IdeChnDr.sys
    viasraid.sys
    AGP440.sys
    vaxscsi.sys
    nvatabus.sys
    viamraid.sys
    nvata.sys
    nvgts.sys
    iastorv.sys
    ViPrt.sys
    eNetHook.dll
    ahcix86.sys
    KR10N.sys
    nvstor32
    ahcix86s.sys
    nvrd32.sys
    user32.dll
    ws2_32.dll
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
    CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Quick Scan button.
  • The scan should take a few minutes.
  • Please copy and paste both logs in your reply.

We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit scanner. Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:

Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice

Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new OTL log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:

How to create a GMER log

In your reply, please post both OTL logs and the GMER log.

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:13 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team
a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:58 PM

Re-opened by OP request.

#5 stu80

stu80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:25 AM

Hi Etavares

Sorry for not responding

I have follwed the steps you provided below, and have provided log reports from OTL

Unfortunately i cannot provide a log from gmer as during the scan my internet windows closed, my taskbar changed into the old windows classic look, then my pc shut down and restarted, gmer did not finish scanning

Please let me know if you need anything else

Thanks

Attached Files

#6 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:16 PM

Hello, stu80.

Thanks for hte logs. Are you still having that issue? CF didn't appear to have fixed ALuereon, and given the issues, let's run it again.

First, please delete your copy and download a fresh copy below.

Next, please download ComboFix from one of these locations:* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop as etavaresCF.exe
  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. (Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive.)
  • Double click on etavaresCF.exe & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply, along with any symptoms that are present after it runs.

etavares

Posted Image

#7 stu80

stu80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:52 AM

Hi etavares

I ran combofix again as requested, please find attached a copy of the new log report. The only thing whilst eunning it was i got a pop up message saying pev.cfxxe encountered a problem.

Everything seems to be the same as before so far

Attached Files

#8 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:01 AM

Hello, stu80.

Registry Cleaner Warning

I also see that you have a Ccleaner installed. It is a great tool that I use. However, be careful of the registry cleaning functionality (versus file cleaning), Here at BC, we do not recommend using registry cleaners as they don't speed up your computer and they can do more harm than good if they remove a legitimate entry. If you do use it, make sure to use a tool like ERUNT to back up your registry first. Merely backing it up yourself via regedit wont' help you if you can't boot up as a result!

See here for more information:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1326578

Viewpoint (foistware) Warning"

I see Viewpoint is installed on your machine. Viewpoint Manager is considered as foistware instead of malware since it is installed without users approval but doesn't spy or do anything "bad". This changed from what we know in 2006 read this article:

http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3561546

I suggest you remove the program now. Go to the Control Panel, then Add or Remove Programs uninstall the following if they exist: Viewpoint, Viewpoint Manager, Viewpoint Media Player.
Ask Toolbar Warning"

I see you have the Ask.Com (IOBit) toolbar installed. This often comes bundled with spyware and is recommended you remove.

Please see here for more information:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/uninstall/...sk-Toolbar.html

If you would like to remove it, please go to add/Remove Programs and uninstall it.

Step 1

1. Close any open browsers.

2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

3. Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

Registry::
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\security center]
"AntiVirusOverride"=dword:00000000
"FirewallOverride"=dword:00000000
[HKLM\~\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile]
"EnableFirewall"= 0 (0x0)
"DisableNotifications"= 0 (0x0)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile]
"EnableFirewall" = 1
"DisableNotifications" = 0
DDS::
uInternet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5643
RegLock::
[HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\User Preferences]
file::
C:\sqmdata00.sqm
C:\sqmdata01.sqm
C:\sqmdata02.sqm
C:\sqmdata03.sqm
C:\sqmdata04.sqm
C:\sqmdata05.sqm
C:\sqmdata06.sqm
C:\sqmdata07.sqm
C:\sqmdata08.sqm
C:\sqmdata09.sqm
C:\sqmdata10.sqm
C:\sqmdata11.sqm
C:\sqmdata12.sqm
C:\sqmdata13.sqm
C:\sqmdata14.sqm
C:\sqmnoopt00.sqm
C:\sqmnoopt01.sqm
C:\sqmnoopt02.sqm
C:\sqmnoopt03.sqm
C:\sqmnoopt04.sqm
C:\sqmnoopt05.sqm
C:\sqmnoopt06.sqm
C:\sqmnoopt07.sqm
C:\sqmnoopt08.sqm
C:\sqmnoopt09.sqm
C:\sqmnoopt10.sqm
C:\sqmnoopt11.sqm
C:\sqmnoopt12.sqm
C:\sqmnoopt13.sqm
C:\sqmnoopt14.sqm
C:\sqmnoopt15.sqm

Save this as CFScript.txt, in the same location as ComboFix.exe

Refering to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exe

When finished, it shall produce a log for you at C:\ComboFix.txt which I will require in your next reply.

Step 2

Please download MBRCheck by ad_13 and save it to your desktop.

Double-click to run. A window will pop up. If it says 'non-standard' or 'infected' MBR code detected, please type 3 for Exit for now and press Enter.

It will save a logfile on your desktop that starts with MBR, then has the date, etc. Please copy and paste the contents of that log in your reply.

Step 3

Download and run HAMeb_check.exe
Post the contents of the resulting log.

etavares

Edited by etavares, 07 August 2010 - 07:01 AM.

Posted Image

#9 stu80

stu80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:44 AM

Hi etavares

Please find attached a copy of the logs as requested

Whilst running combofix again i still got the error message pev.cfxxe encountered a problem
Thanks

Attached Files

#10 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:30 AM

Are you still getting the Aleureon.H warning from MSE? Any symptoms like google searches being redirected?

Also, I noticed you have two A/Vs...are these both installed and running? Or is AntiVir a leftover from before?

Two Antiviruses Warning

I do not recommend that you have more than one anti virus product installed and running on your computer at a time. The reason for this is that if both products have their automatic (Real-Time) protection switched on, then those products which do not encrypt the virus strings within them can cause other anti virus products to cause "false alarms". It can also lead to a clash as both products fight for access to files which are opened again this is the resident/automatic protection. In general terms, the two programs may conflict and cause:
1) False Alarms: When the anti virus software tells you that your PC has a virus when it actually doesn't.
2) System Performance Problems: Your system may lock up due to both products attempting to access the same file at the same time.
Therefore please go to add/remove in the control panel and remove either Microsoft Security Essentials or Avira AntiVir.

Posted Image

#11 stu80

stu80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

I have just run MSE and it did not pick up the Alureon virus, however does this mean it has been cleared or just hiding somewhere? I had read that once on your system was very difficult to remove

Avira was originally on my pc, however i downloaded MSE thinking it may be better than avira, but both are running so i will remove one to avoid the issues you stated below

#12 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:20 PM

Hello, stu80.

Well, it did detect it initially, which is a good sign. I don't see anything in the logs to date related to it and I want to be sure before we continue on. Let's do this after you uninstall the other A/V. Also, what file was MSE detecting? It's probably still in the logs.

You must first verify that you can logon to the Windows Recovery Console.
To do so, you must have the Recovery Console installed or use the Windows XP installation cd.

How to install and use the Windows XP Recovery Console

Next, please download maxlook, saving the file to your desktop.
Double click maxlook.exe to run it. Note - you must run it only once!
As instructed when the tool runs, restart the computer and logon to the Recovery Console.
Execute the following bolded command at the x:\windows> prompt <--- the red x represents your operating system drive letter, usually C

batch look.bat

You will see 1 file copied many times then return to the x:\windows> prompt.
Type Exit to restart your computer then logon in normal mode.
Please run maxlook.exe again now. Note - you must run it only once!
It will produce looklog.txt on the desktop and open it.
Please post the results here.

etavares

Posted Image

#13 stu80

stu80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:04 AM

Hi etavares

AS requested, here is a copy of the log, said no infected files found

I have deleted MSE so cant remember what the files where that it found, the only one i had trouble with was the one i started this post with, also remeber a few fakespyro files being found which it deleted, but until i originally ran combofix when i tried to delete the alureon it said it couldnt do it and crashed

Thanks

Attached Files

#14 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:37 PM

Hello, stu80.

OK, one more scanner. I don't see us actually removing Alueron, but CF may have caught it before. I just want to be sure. Last one before we say it's gone and proceed onwards.

Scan With RKUnHooker

* Please Rootkit Unhooker and save it to your desktop.
* Now double-click on RKUnhookerLE.exe to run it.
* Click the Report tab, then click Scan.
* Check (Tick) Drivers, Stealth. Uncheck the rest. then Click OK.
* Wait till the scanner has finished and then click File, Save Report.
* Save the report somewhere where you can find it. Click Close.

Copy the entire contents of the report and paste it in a reply here.

Note** you may get this warning it is ok, just ignore

"Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself!
It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?"

etavares

Posted Image

#15 stu80

stu80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:46 AM

Hi etavares

Last scan done as requested, please find attached a copy of the report