Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Ubuntu only for Linux

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:57 AM

I know slightly less than nothing about either Linux or Ubuntu. The guy I'm trying to help is older and not computer literate at all.

He's having trouble with the sound on his computer.

So I said I would try to help but I guess first I need to know if ubuntu and linux are always linked, does ubuntu have a program that is not for linux but instead for windows or mac?

So if I know he is using ubuntu, then, does that by default mean he has linux?

Once I get that figured out I can go a bit further if anyone could give me a clue I'd super much appreciate your sharing what you know. :flowers: :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:55 AM

Hi,

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution. It is a complete operating system just like Windows XP is a complete operating system. Therefore it can not be installed into something, it runs on its own.

You will find that the ubuntu-community has a very extensive amount of guides, howtos and troubleshooting instructions on their wiki. Which should help you find the issue. However I would advise that you download and try the ubuntu live-cd to get a feeling of the OS before you try to help someone else, otherwise there will be confusion and problems.

A couple of examples for sound on ubuntu related guides:
See here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sound
or here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting
or here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/MP3

regards myrti

Edited by myrti, 18 July 2010 - 10:57 AM.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 kelvingrage

kelvingrage

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:50 AM

Today Ubuntu has become very popular and there are many people who use Ubuntu and very happy with it. This is a Linux-based OS with a strong focus on usability and ease of installation. Ubuntu is an operating system developed by the open source community. The most important thing about Ubuntu in a philosophical context, is that after the installation and use of their right of free software for the people. These freedoms have allowed the Ubuntu community to grow.

#4 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:35 PM

Hi,

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution. It is a complete operating system just like Windows XP is a complete operating system. Therefore it can not be installed into something, it runs on its own.

You will find that the ubuntu-community has a very extensive amount of guides, howtos and troubleshooting instructions on their wiki. Which should help you find the issue. However I would advise that you download and try the ubuntu live-cd to get a feeling of the OS before you try to help someone else, otherwise there will be confusion and problems.

A couple of examples for sound on ubuntu related guides:
See here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sound
or here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting
or here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/MP3

regards myrti

lThank you that is very helpful. I had no idea such a thing (the ubuntu live cd) existed and yes I was wondering how to help my friend when I had no real concept of what we were working with so I am looking forward to following up on this. Thanks a whole big bunch! :thumbsup:

Edited by kcsummer, 21 July 2010 - 10:36 PM.

#5 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:39 PM

Today Ubuntu has become very popular and there are many people who use Ubuntu and very happy with it. This is a Linux-based OS with a strong focus on usability and ease of installation. Ubuntu is an operating system developed by the open source community. The most important thing about Ubuntu in a philosophical context, is that after the installation and use of their right of free software for the people. These freedoms have allowed the Ubuntu community to grow.

Thanks for the info. I can see why it would be popular, an open-source-based environment as opposed to being nickeled and dimed to death for everything we would like to add to mcintosh (what i have) or windows environment. What a novel (and refreshing) idea. I had of course heard of Linux but didn't really know what exactly it entailed or that it could be based on something so refreshingly different. :thumbsup:

#6 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

If you decide to try Ubuntu, here are some links you might find helpful! :thumbsup:

http://ubuntuforums.org/

http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/Home

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/10-mistakes-...4444?tag=footer

http://my.opera.com/ubuntunerd1/blog/

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:17 AM

Here is a partial list of all Linux LiveCD's to pick from: Linux Live CD's. Download a few and try them before deciding on one.

#8 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,766 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:46 AM

Hi,

since you are trying to help someone who is already running Ubuntu I would suggest that you use the same version as he does for now. There are notable differences between different linux distributions and getting familiar with one doesn't always help you to get familiar with another. In addition that list contains quite some non-linux Liv-CDs as well.

Let us know if you want to use Linux for your own use as well and we'll be happy to provide a couple of different distributions, because as cryptodan said, it is a good idea to have a look around and see what you like best.

regards myrti

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#9 PadRat

PadRat

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:22 PM

KC

Another thing you can try is Wubi http://wubi-installer.org/ It is a Ubuntu installer for Windows. You can tell it how much of your hardrive you want to dedicate to Ubuntu and then when you boot up, you can select which OS you want to use, either Windows or Ubuntu.

If you find you don't like Ubuntu, you can just uninstall like you would any other Windows program you don't like, thru Control Panel-> Add/Remove Programs.

I use it and love it. Hope this helps,

PadRat
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” Werner von Braun

#10 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:57 AM

I started with Wubi and then moved to dual-boot Ubuntu/Vista. Now I do tend to distro-hop. Hardly use Vista at all, only keeping it 'cos I paid for it.

#11 sotoj159

sotoj159

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:21 PM

yea, ubuntu is pretty cool, i dual boot ubuntu and windows 7...use win7 mostly for gaming and ubuntu for almost everything else.

When i first started using ubuntu, i had no idea what i was getting into...i tried that live cd, but i thought, "eh, what the hell", so i installed it, and once i figured it out, i fell in love :D

ubuntuforums.org is what got me through all of my troubles...the people there are VERY helpful, so dont hesitate to ask questions on there, even if you think the questions may be dumb...it's not...linux is a pretty scary thing for people who don't know about it, but ubuntu was a pretty easy transition.

also, if you ever plan on maybe installing it on a laptop, make sure that you plug the laptop DIRECTLY to the internet's ethernet cord... when you first install it on the computer, it's probably not going to recognize some components like the wifi card, or the volume button, or the video card, or things like that, but once you have the ethernet plugged in, and an internet connection, you can just update some stuff and...voila, they work now :D

#12 PadRat

PadRat

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:43 PM

"also, if you ever plan on maybe installing it on a laptop, make sure that you plug the laptop DIRECTLY to the internet's ethernet cord... when you first install it on the computer, it's probably not going to recognize some components like the wifi card, or the volume button, or the video card, or things like that, but once you have the ethernet plugged in, and an internet connection, you can just update some stuff and...voila, they work now :D"

Soto,

Interesting you should say that. I have a friend that mentioned Ubuntu's Live USB boot did not recognize his Wifi card either. I have a Gateway laptop and oddly enough, I had no problem using Ubuntu and have never had a problem with missing services. As a mater of fact my laptop has yet to be plugged into a LAN cable. It would be interesting to see if this is model specific.

PadRat
“Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.” Werner von Braun

#13 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,766 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 03:35 AM

Hi,

Ubuntu by default chips without proprietary drivers, this will include the drivers for a set of wireless cards as well. I have never had issued with intel cards in my laptops. But others will have to get some software installed before being recognized and some more will actually need to use windows drivers to get to work, which can be troublesome.

A selected list of devices and whether they work or not can be found here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/...sCardsSupported

regards myrti

#14 RedBlue89

RedBlue89

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:49 AM

Hello friend,

what version of its Ubuntu.

#15 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

Interesting you should say that. I have a friend that mentioned Ubuntu's Live USB boot did not recognize his Wifi card either. I have a Gateway laptop and oddly enough, I had no problem using Ubuntu and have never had a problem with missing services. As a mater of fact my laptop has yet to be plugged into a LAN cable. It would be interesting to see if this is model specific.

Not so much computer model specific as wireless card specific. Even the same brand computers often ship with different wireless chips. Atheros chips work out of the box now, broadcom chips often need a lot of manipulating to get to work at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users