Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AC97 recording issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 samre5

samre5

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:04 AM

A strange thing happened recently during some recent attempts to capture audio by "line-in" and also web based audio from you-tube......I have never had a problem before. During stereo recording, the "right" channel record level indicator is BURIED to the max with no recording activity.....the left channel remains fully functional and records to file........during playback, there is no audio on the right speaker and the left speaker comes through fine. Mono mix gives GIVES both LEVELS pinned with NO audio. Recently, I discovered a solution to the problem...all I had to do was move the "systems" CD/Video-in record slider all the way down.....suddenly , as I monitored the record channel levels in my Roxio Easy Audio Capture program, the right channel level "dropped" out of the clipping range and back down into the normal zone......I went to youtube and brought up some audio ....clicked "auto-level" in my capture program and everything was perfect......I captured audio to file and it played back perfect stereo from both speakers..... It doesn't make any sense that I cant control the audio level from the sound cards slider.....maybe the record program has priority over audio levels and somehow, raising the system slider blew the levels out of the water....who knows....all I know is that it worked. I went back to "LINE-IN" recording ....no change, I could not get "stereo" recording levels and still have NO right channel record capability.......I can not capture "right channel audio" . During "line-in" capture attempts , I do not have audio coming through the right speaker....only the left which confirms the issue.
I have installed several different audio capture softwares....every one shows the same results in the capture window.....I am puzzled. I have the latest audio driver......NO change......I have an HP MediaCenter PC ,SP3 with a Realtek AC'97 sound card..........any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:44 AM

Well...if it's not software and not drivers...then it's the audio device.

Have you run the Sound Troubleshooter in XP?

Louis

#3 samre5

samre5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:02 AM

Well...if it's not software and not drivers...then it's the audio device.

Have you run the Sound Troubleshooter in XP?

Louis

Can the actual ac97 sound card develope an issue that is so specific? P.S. How do I navigate to the Sound Troubleshooter? I did try something called troubleshooting but I bailed on it.....it went to the web and listed general questions that did not address recording.....I've been on that "wild goose chase" before. Thanks

PPS..., What are your thoughts on using a USB audio capture device for analog stereo audio to get around this issue??

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

Anything manmade...can go awry, at any time.

If it were me...I would just install a cheap PCI sound card in a vacant PCI slot...and see if the problem remains. If so, then that would say to me that it's a motherboard issue of some sort.

Examples of PCI Sound Cards

Louis

#5 samre5

samre5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:26 PM

Anything manmade...can go awry, at any time.

If it were me...I would just install a cheap PCI sound card in a vacant PCI slot...and see if the problem remains. If so, then that would say to me that it's a motherboard issue of some sort.

Louis

Wow, they are cheap, aren't they ? !!! Just for the sake of knowing, can any soundcard that is integrated physically into the motherboard handle ALL sound events from playback to recording in stead of the Realtek AC97 that is built into the motherboard ??? I mean, from what I have read, this is pretty much a "run of the mill" soundcard.....is this true ?? Thanks for your time !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users