Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow to load at start up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maroper

maroper

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:54 AM

My computer is sometimes very slow to load at start up. I have looked at the start up list in Spy Bot but do not know if some of the items could be unchecked or not. I tried to go into the Start Up list on your site and run autorun and I do get a complete list but do not know what to do with it. Can you tell me how I might determine which programs do not need to load at start up? Is there something else that I might need to do to speed up loading?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:27 AM

Using Autoruns...the typical startup items are listed on the Logon tab.

I suggest only looking at that tab and disabling/unchecking any items that you do not want running at boot.

Of items listed on that tab...only crucial items (AV program, firewall program, Java and Microsoft XP files) should be running at boot. IMO, all other items listed on that tab can safely be unchecked.

Unchecking does not remove anything, it simply prevents the program from running at boot.

Louis

#3 maroper

maroper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:45 PM

Under the Log On tab in autorun, these are the items that are listed. Could I uncheck any of these and not affect anything important?

BCMSMMSG Modem Messaging Applet Broadcom Corporation c:\windows\bcmsmmsg.exe

mcui_exe McAfee Security Center McAfee, Inc. c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe

Microsoft Default Manager Microsoft Default Manager Microsoft Corporation c:\program files\microsoft\search enhancement pack\default manager\defmgr.exe

MSN Toolbar MSNŽ Toolbar Microsoft Corp. c:\program files\msn toolbar\platform\4.0.0401.0\mswinext.exe

NvCplDaemon NVIDIA Display Properties Extension NVIDIA Corporation c:\windows\system32\nvcpl.dll

QuickTime Task QuickTime Task Apple Computer, Inc. c:\program files\quicktime\qttask.exe

SunJavaUpdateSched Java™ Update Scheduler Sun Microsystems, Inc. c:\program files\common files\java\java update\jusched.exe

TkBellExe RealNetworks Scheduler RealNetworks, Inc. c:\program files\common files\real\update_ob\realsched.exe

SpybotSD TeaTimer System settings protector Safer-Networking Ltd. c:\program files\spybot - search & destroy\teatimer.exe

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:39 AM

What I would do:

Uninstall/remove MSN toolbar and any other toolbars.

Remove the MS Search Enhancement package.

Uninstall Quick Time if I don't use it. QT is one of the programs that seriously can slow down a system.

Uninstall any Real software that is installed, another typical system-killer.

Disable Tea-Timer.

Louis

After doing those things, I would run the chkdsk /r command. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot the system.

Chkdsk /r will execute and boot into XP upon completion.

Edited by hamluis, 19 July 2010 - 08:40 AM.

#5 maroper

maroper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:13 PM

I uninstalled MSN Toolbar and QuickTime

Tea Timer was already not checked in Spy Bot

I can not figure out how to remove the MS Search Enhancement package. Can you give me instructions?

What do you mean by "Real" software?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

http://www.real.com/

If you have a startup item for Tea Timer...it wasn't disabled already.

Use Google...to find out what some of these programs are, please.

http://lifehacker.com/5560116/remove-micro...on-from-firefox

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users