Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program Error Keeps Popping Up

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 moonkiss

moonkiss

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 21 October 2005 - 12:31 AM

i have windows 2000. for some reason when ever another window needs to open i get a program error. it says,(ieplore.exe has generated errors and will be cloed by windows). the only way i can get on the internet is if i go to start, the search for folders or files, then i go to the bar and scroll to internet explorer. i have to do it all backwards. so if someone can get back to me that would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 21 October 2005 - 03:19 AM

:thumbsup: to BC!

Where to start? This could be due to many different problems. What anti-virus and anti-spyware protection do you have and is it updated and run regularly?

You may have corrupted files. Reboot your computer then go to Start>Run and type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. You will need to have your original Windows 2000 CD available when prompted. You will need to run Windows update again after it finishes to restore the latest versions of the files.

You may have a hard drive problem. Do some basic maintenance:
(These instructions apply to Windows ME and XP, other versions may not have the functions described)
  • Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
    Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
    Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK

• Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here:
    Safe Mode
    How to find scandisk:
    Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now

• When that's finished do a defrag.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Reboot and see if there's any improvement.

• Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Start>My Computer click once on your C: drive and look in the Details box on the left.
Come back with the results and some more info on your system. hth :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 moonkiss

moonkiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:18 PM

i have done everything you said except for==

You may have corrupted files. Reboot your computer then go to Start>Run and type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. You will need to have your original Windows 2000 CD available when prompted. You will need to run Windows update again after it finishes to restore the latest versions of the files.

i need to get the disk. no improvment. my free space is 7.17gb and capacity is 14.2gb. my computer is screwed. im thinking about wiping out the whole thing. but wont i still have virusis. so far i have the keylogger.trojan and the trojan.dropper. pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaase help meeeeeeee.

Edited by moonkiss, 26 October 2005 - 06:06 PM.

#4 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:49 PM

if you think you may be infected go to
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-hijackthis/ run hijack this and post results, be patient, don't do anything in the mean time.

#5 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:26 PM

i have done everything you said except for==

i need to get the disk. no improvment. my free space is 7.17gb and capacity is 14.2gb. my computer is screwed. im thinking about wiping out the whole thing. but wont i still have virusis. so far i have the keylogger.trojan and the trojan.dropper. pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaase help meeeeeeee.

Well, you MUST do a virus scan and get rid of those nasties before proceding with anything else. You do have an uptodate antivirus program, right?

#6 moonkiss

moonkiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:05 PM

i have Spybot Search and Destroy. i think it only runs when i want it to. i also have Lavasoft Ad watch SE.
i aso have ran the spybot and nothing has changed. i still have the virus. im trying to do everything i can so i dont have to pay and bring it in.
:thumbsup:

#7 PapaSmurf88

PapaSmurf88

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:22 PM

If you cant get rid of that virus try heading over to [link]http://www.trendmicro.com/home/default.asp[/link] and run their free online virus and spyware scan. Also if you can go out to download.com do a search for AntiVir and a2 (aSquared) these are a couple of free anti-virus programs that are fairly easy to use. Rimmer will probably have the exact address to download them. Other than that make sure that you run the HiJack this and post the log in the HiJack this fourm.

Hope this helps

Papa Smurf
My Specs:

Albatron PX915P4C Pro
Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Processor w/ HT technology
2x 512MB PC3200 Memory
120 GB Western Digital IDE HD
SAPPHIRE X550 256Mb Video Card

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:55 PM

Do you have an anti-virus? If not try AVG 7 Free Edition (I personally use and like) or Avst Home Edition also freeware and an excellent choice.

Another anti-spyware that works very well is Ewido Security Suite 14 day trial. The full verison is free for the 14 day trial, but you can still use their excellent scan after the trial period has ended.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 moonkiss

moonkiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:25 PM

my computer wont let me download anything. plus, some of the links you all gave me require another window to open and my computer wont let me do anything. :thumbsup:

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:35 PM

Moonkiss - are you getting confused between anti-virus and anti-spyware programs? You should have one, and only one, Anti-virus program installed and updated, running on your machine all the time. Similarly you should install only one Firewall program (some Anti-virus programs include a Firewall). But you should have many anti-spyware programs. These do not run on your PC all the time but are tools which you can use to get rid of spyware and other rubbish that may get on to your computer.

Anti-spyware programs do not protect from, or clean out viruses.

You can run online anti-virus scans as PapSmurf88 suggested but it is best to have one permanently installed on any PC which is connected to the Internet. (e.g. the ones acklan suggested)

We can continue to help you in this forum if you wish, but for expert assistance you are probably better of submitting a HijackThis Log to the HJT forum, like franktiii said. They will get back to you with step-by-step instructions for cleaning your PC of malware. You can then return to this topic if there are other issues to be dealt with.

If you choose to post an HJT log it is esential you read the pinned posts 'How to use this Forum' and 'How to post a HiJack This log' at the top of the forum:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Hij...alysis-f22.html

You should also ignore this thread until your HJT log is dealt with, only do the one thing at a time.

Let us know what you decide to do. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#11 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:51 PM

OK - I just read your post where you said

my computer wont let me download anything.

which changes the situation...

Can you get access to another computer where you can download stuff and burn it to a CD or copy it to a flashdisk? If so start downloading the latest versions of everything mentioned so far. Another source is to buy a PC magazine - their cover CDs often include anti-spyware software.

If you don't have access to another PC you will have to run what you have on your system at the moment.
Do what you can of this:

Is your Anti-virus program current and updated? If not you can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software because you should only have one running on your system.

Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

After the scans have run reboot and see if you can connect to the internet and update the programs you have. Also see if you can now download the programs you don't yet have, install them and update them. Then boot in safe mode again and run all the scans again. Every time you run a scan there may be small improvements which let you do more in the next time.

Let us know how you do. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 26 October 2005 - 11:52 PM.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:20 AM

my computer wont let me download anything. plus, some of the links you all gave me require another window to open and my computer wont let me do anything. :thumbsup:

I understand you are up set, but please bare with us. Do you have someone who will allow you to save these programs to disk (cd) for you? Try that. And Rimmer has an excellent suggestion. If you get someone to download this for you be sure as also download the HJT file also.
We know this is trying but remember most of us have been where you are. Be patient and we will help you through this...ok.

#13 moonkiss

moonkiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:21 PM

thankyou to all who helped me. i thought this site would be bullbleep but all of you replied. thankyou so much. but i got ahold of someone who will fix it for free. you can find me on myspace/moonkiss. :thumbsup:

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:36 PM

Were are glad you found a solution. When your friend fixes your computer please POST the solution so others may benifit.
Best wishes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users