1. Turned on the computer it showed that there was no internet connection.
2. Reset router and restarted the computer, still had no internet connection.
3. Tried to right click on the internet connection icon at the bottom right corner of the screen and was unable to since the computer froze.
4. Opened task manager and ended explorer.exe process, taskbar disappeared.
5. Restarted explorer.exe process and taskbar came back.
6. Tried to access Network from start menu and computer locked up again.
7. Restarted computer.
8. Tried again, computer froze.
9. Restarted about 4 more times with exactly the same results.
10. Entered Safe Mode with Networking, and was able to access internet and all other menus.
11. Restarted computer and started Windows normally and tried to get to internet, but still no access.
12. Tried to access User-Account-Control-protected "Services" button from task manager services tab, but no menu appeared.
13. Found out that any menu, button, or link, protected by User Account Control could not be accessed
14. Turned off User Account Control from Safe Mode.
15. Could now access menus, buttons, and links, that used to be protected by User Account Control.
16. Went to "Services" button (from step 12) and discovered that the firewall service was not started, tried to start manually, but errored out saying that service could not open.
17. Also, Windows Live Onecare does not work.
18. Also, Windows Defender does not work.
19. Ran Malware Bytes Anti Malware from Safe Mode found (Adware.TryMedia) deleted.
20. Still no internet access from "normal" mode.
21. Tried to run Malware Bytes Anti Malware from "normal" mode, but locked up after 4 seconds.
At this point, I'm unsure of what to do next. It seems like the computer runs great from Safe Mode, but is extremely crippled when running normally. Have no idea whether this is a virus or not. Any help or direction would be appreciated.
Edited by Blade Zephon, 17 July 2010 - 09:04 PM.
Moved to AII as no logs provided and Prep Guide not followed. ~BZ