Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Found New Hardware Wizard and Add Printer Wizard do nothing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wizejoker

wizejoker

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

Over the last year, all the new hardware devices I have bought will not work on my laptop. When I plug in the devices, they just bring up the found new hardware wizard and never does it work. I even have the disc for all of them and it still just doesn't work. Specifically, I have a lexmark printer. I have downloaded the drivers on their website but I still cannot install the printer because halfway through installation, I have to plug in the printer to the computer and it cannot be recognized. I went to Sony Vaio's website and updated a few things. I believe I'm working on SP3 right now. any advice or suggestions?

I need to add that I cannot find the XP disc. I'm not sure whether it came with my computer when I bought it but I just can't find it.

Edited by wizejoker, 17 July 2010 - 05:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:03 PM

Some USB devices...need to have the drivers installed/available...before the device can be recognized.

Whatever printer you are using...are you following the installation instructions provided by the printer manufacturer?

Louis

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:11 AM

Do you have all the updates such as SP3 and made sure all your drivers are updated for your hardware?

#4 wizejoker

wizejoker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:20 AM

Some USB devices...need to have the drivers installed/available...before the device can be recognized.

Whatever printer you are using...are you following the installation instructions provided by the printer manufacturer?

Louis

Yeah, the instructions were pretty vague though. The one inserted sheet just said to insert disc and follow the steps. Problem is, when I insert the disc, my drive doesn't detect it so it cannot run from the disc. But I downloaded the same thing from the Lexmark website and followed the steps on that set-up.

I believe I'm up to date. I just ran Windows Update a day or two ago. I have also tried to update all the drivers for my system but it says that nothing needs to be updated.

Here are a few pictures to hopefully clear up my problem a little more.

Attached Files

Edited by wizejoker, 19 July 2010 - 09:22 AM.

#5 wizejoker

wizejoker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:26 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic