Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to delete files from Mac

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 altair05

altair05

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:28 PM

I have a file that I want to delete from my Macbook Pro. I am new to Mac so please explain everything, I'm still getting used to the layout and the shortcuts on the computer.

I tried dragging it to the trash can in the dock.
I tried command dragging and option command dragging and control dragging including control delete.
None of those things work. I was sort of hoping that right clicking would word but it doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

I tried dragging it to the trash can in the dock.
I tried command dragging and option command dragging and control dragging including control delete.
None of those things work. I was sort of hoping that right clicking would word but it doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

What exactly happened when you tried these? Any error messages?
Click once on the file to highlight/choose it then Command + Delete keys moves it to the Trash. Shift + Command + Delete empties the Trash.
Solving Trash Problems

A couple links that will help you in learning OS X.
Mac 101 Getting started with the Mac
Switch 101 Migrate to Mac

Edited by Buddyme2, 17 July 2010 - 09:13 PM.

#3 altair05

altair05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

thanks, ill try these out in the morning. When i did those things, a beeping sound sounded. I'm looking forward to being a mac user, just didn't think that it would take me so much time to get everything down.

#4 altair05

altair05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:46 PM

Thanks, it worked.

#5 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:20 PM

Your welcome. Care to share which one worked for you. Someone with the same problem might benefit from it if they ever find this topic.

#6 altair05

altair05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:07 PM

Command + Delete works great. Just remember to click on the file then do the deleting part.

#7 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

Oddly Command + Delete isn't working for me. I've been hoping to find a keyboard shortcut for deleting files. I'm running 10.6.4. Any idea why that would be not working?

#8 altair05

altair05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

Well, I am running the same OS version as you. Umm, try looking the file up in finder and then clicking on it once so that it is highlighted. Then hold command + delete.

See if that works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users