Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Verifying DMI Pool Data Hang/Freeze

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 techman10

techman10

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:54 PM

Hi,

Basically, seemingly out of the blue my computer has begun to hang during boot up at the verifying DMI pool data step. First, let me explain the last time I was able to use my computer. My computer had been running for quite a long time because I usually don't shut it down. One day this week when I got home, I logged in and noticed that the computer audio wasn't working. I made sure my speakers were fine (they were) and also looked at volume controls to make sure everything was good there also. When these two things didn't fix the problem, I thought that this could be due to a stopped driver so I went into device manager and disabled the driver and then enabled it again. At this point, I restarted my machine and since that time I cannot get my computer to boot up without stopping at verifying DMI pool data.

I am trying to solve this issue methodically and I have done a few things already. I ran memory tests and memory should be fine, I reset the CMOS and also took out the CMOS battery to see if it was still good. The voltage meter I used indicated that the battery still has 2.94 volts so that should be fine as well since the battery is 3 volts nominally.

I am trying to figure out what to do next. I would like to do everything I can at the software level first before I go ahead and start replacing hardware. I find the audio problem to be peculiar since it happened at the time it did, but I'm not sure that this is the cause. Also my sound card is integrated into my motherboard.

Please respond with your suggestions of what to do next. Also I'm trying to understand what role verifying DMI pool data has during boot up.

Thanks.

ps Operating System is Windows XP 64 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:58 AM

Worth Reading, IMO.

I would try to run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console, as a first step.

Then...I would run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the hard drive.

Louis

#3 techman10

techman10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:09 PM

chkdsk /r ran its course and it displayed a message saying that it found and corrected some errors. Nonetheless, still the same problem during boot up.
Does the fact that I can boot from CD and not from disk indicate anything?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

It could indicate...that your CMOS battery needs to be replaced...that your boot order does not reflect the hard drive as the first boot device...that your hard drive is failing...and so on. All nothing but guesswork.

No, of itself it indicates only that something is wrong.

That's why we try to eliminate possible suspects, one at a time.

Louis

#5 techman10

techman10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:24 PM

Well I know it's not the CMOS battery or the boot order. I suspect it could be something with the boot record(is that stored on the hd?) or possibly the motherboard. I don't know whether you read my first post in-depth but the sound issue just before reboot seems very suspicious. Basically my sound wasn't working at all so I decided to reboot and I can't get Windows to boot since that time. Also, the computer was running in a room with a fairly high ambient temperature. I know that heat is obviously destructive to electronic components but do you think that ambient air temperature of let's say 90 would greatly harm the computer's components?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:24 AM

Well...you are not drawing conclusions that I would draw. I see no correlation between sound problems and inability to boot. I see no correlation between ambient temps and system temps when the system is properly ventilated, the case is closed, the fans are working properly, and there is no accumulation of dust, etc. to hamper proper system cooling.

Running a diagnostic of the hard drive...is pretty fundamental for me when a system develops problems.

If you looked at the link provided re DMI Pool errors...I think you see the logical possibilities. These aren't the only possibilities...just some of the known ones.

Louis

#7 Bryan98847

Bryan98847

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:32 PM

I just had that happen to me. Have you done any updates lately? I did and afterward it would hang at the same "Verifying DMI pool.........." Put in your windows install disk and restore your computer to an earlier restore point. Mine works perfectly now. Just something to try.

#8 techman10

techman10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:08 PM

I just had that happen to me. Have you done any updates lately? I did and afterward it would hang at the same "Verifying DMI pool.........." Put in your windows install disk and restore your computer to an earlier restore point. Mine works perfectly now. Just something to try.

Thanks for your input. For the time being, I've been using my hard disks on another system by way of a SATA\USB adapter. I was planning on buying a new motherboard, but I will definitely try your fix first. Could you tell me the process for using system restore from the Windows disc? I have used the recovery console from the Windows disc but I have not tried system restore.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users