Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dual boot 98 and xp

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bud wormy

bud wormy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:54 AM

i have created a dual boot of 98 and xp on separate partitions on the same HDD, i made sure to go in the correct order (98 then xp), i made sure to format xp FAT32 to match the 98 partition, but i can't figure out why it won't boot into 98 when i choose it after startup. anything stupid i may be forgetting? thank you guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:07 AM

Welcome to BC bud.

I've wanted to do this for sometime now. How or what did you use to partition the drive? How big is this drive?

I believe the first partition should me Win9x/ME and the second WinXP or what ever you want to use. The WinXP doesn't have to be FAT32 this is only if you want Win98 to use files on the WinXP drive.

As you say there should be a boot menu which WinXP makes. Sorry I can't help you anymore. You can always Google it. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:32 AM

I did have have 98SE and XP, set up just like you, Mate

Some thing seems to have gone wrong?

Buggered if I know what?

Few more Details? Maybe you missed some Updates for 98? Only thing I can think of?

BTW, Welcome to BC, Mate. (It means Friend)

Ray

Edited by Drovers Dog, 18 July 2010 - 08:35 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#4 bud wormy

bud wormy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

i had win98 on a 40GB hard drive that was already partitioned. 98 was of course on drive (partition) c. the other partition (d) was 12 GB. my friend i'm doing it for had his work program on 98 so he wanted it intact, but he couldn't get a good web experience on 98 so he wanted xp on the d partition. i formatted d with fat32 so the 2 os's could share files. i then proceeded to install xp on the d partition. everything seemed to be going fine. after the install i noticed the xp bootloader listed both os's and i was like "YAY!", but when i tried to boot into 98 it hung up. i could then restart and boot into xp only (still having the apparent option of 98 on the xp bootloader. next boot i could get into 98 only in safe mode. after booting into 98 in safe mode and shutting down, when i tried to go back into xp in got the ntdlr missing error, and ntdetect missing error. then i had lost both os's. OUCH!! i booted back into 98 with a dos startup up disk, performed the sys c: command and restored 98. now i have wiped the d partition, and am sitting here wondering why something apparently so simple has failed me, and whether i should change my strategy on the next go round. i even have a new 500GB hard drive to add, but xp will still rewrite the boot sector of drive c when installed, so to avoid this error and get this box out of here i'm looking into a third party boot manager. any ideas? i hear boot magic works well. thanks for the responses and the warm welcome. peas, bud

#5 bud wormy

bud wormy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:08 AM

it worked the second time around. not sure what went wrong on the first try. now to update to sp2. hope that didn't cause the drama last time, but don't see how it would. thanks again for the replies. peas, bud

#6 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:13 AM

16G is simply not enough for XP, Mate

It seems that you did not also do a Clean Install? Just tried to Add XP onto another Partition of 16G?

Using second hand applicatications with 98 is very chancey. It is very Fussy.

Feed Back?

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 18 July 2010 - 10:17 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#7 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:26 AM

Keithuk is much better than me in 98, but I think he will agree that what you want to do requires a Clean Install of 98, that was Normal for the Program on a regular basis, particularly in this one.

Ray.

What is a Dog?

#8 bud wormy

bud wormy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:23 PM

it's working like a charm. the only thing he wants xp for is a better web browsing experience. 12gb is plenty for xp as long as he doesn't plan on storing a lot of data files there which he doesn't. i'm backing a drive image right now, and probably will talk him into buying a 500GB drive and migrating everything over anyway. right now he has 9 GB of free space on the xp partition. i've actually heard of people installing xp with less than 12. i researched the crap out of this so i didn't screw anything up. almost did anyway. so far so good.

#9 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:30 AM

Keithuk is much better than me in 98, but I think he will agree that what you want to do requires a Clean Install of 98,

Correct Ray, all system need to be a clean install in my experience. There is no point in re-installing any system as this will cause more problems than it fixes.

it's working like a charm. the only thing he wants xp for is a better web browsing experience. 12gb is plenty for xp as long as he doesn't plan on storing a lot of data files there which he doesn't. i'm backing a drive image right now, and probably will talk him into buying a 500GB drive and migrating everything over anyway. right now he has 9 GB of free space on the xp partition. i've actually heard of people installing xp with less than 12. i researched the crap out of this so i didn't screw anything up. almost did anyway. so far so good.

it's working like a charm so its working/booting ok now?

I thought the initial problem with Win98 was web browsing? I've never had any problem browsing on Win98/ME/XP/Vista/Win7.

Yes there is a minor glitch with WinXP saying it needs a lot of space. I had WinXP on my old computer with a 20GB HD and there was still loads of space for other apps.

I have 500GB SATA drive but WinXP will only make a 8.5GB partition max and I can't change that to C: for Win9x/ME. I had Seagates drive checker (bootable floppy) that you can set partitions but because its not a Seagate drive it won't work on the new computer. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:11 PM

My main system has dual booted 98 & XP for years.
Sometimes I need to see 98 (I loved that OS!)

Clean install is always the best way to do it
In the beginning there was the command line.

#11 bud wormy

bud wormy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

happy to inform that all is well with the 98/xp dual boot. i didn't install sp3 because it doesn't really help and there's only about 4 gigs to spare. as far as web browsing in 98, firefox was crashing constantly, ie was a nightmare, too. he could get netscape to work pretty well, but he claimed he couldn't get adobe flash to work, so no flash video. i didn't really look into why that was happening to deeply, but i read in a few posts online that firefox 3 and up doesn't work on 98. the reason he wanted 98 to stay is because he is a rare book dealer and the bookmaster program he uses to catalog all of his stuff runs on old school dos. now he surfs and youtubes with xp and does his work over on 98. probably end up wiping xp, as soon as he gets hooked, and do a sys c: from 98 boot floppy, keep 98 on that drive and put xp on another drive altogether. i would feel claustrophobic if i only had 4 gigs of space on my machine. i have a 500GB and a 150GB on my personal machine, but the next build will have a 1 TB so i can have every game ever made at once. haha. PC gaming rules and i'm a baaad junkie.

#12 bud wormy

bud wormy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:55 PM

oh yeah. if anyone knows a really good freeware dos emulator for xp that would be cool.

#13 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

There you go, Mate. Works well and is Free.

http://www.dosbox.com/

I would suggest that when you remove XP from the second Partition you use that one to Transfer his Data onto there, including all his Book Marks, then do a fresh install of 98. It was well known for deteriating over time and had no System Restore, like XP.

As Keithuk and Eyesee have agreed, Fresh is Best with 98.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 19 July 2010 - 10:20 PM.

What is a Dog?

#14 bud wormy

bud wormy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:33 PM

sweet. maybe my buddy can use that. i set up 98 as a virtual machine and i can't even get firefox to install. ie works, but with errors on page. maybe find an older java?

#15 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:49 PM

Keithuk and Eyesee still actively use 98, they can help you much better than me, Mate.

Ray.

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users