Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program Not Responding

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrmerck

mrmerck

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:59 PM

Hi, I am very challenged in the computer world and am not sure what to do to solve a particular computer issue.For the past month my computer is locking-up during certain times while running Internet Explorer.An error message pops up and gives me the option to "retry" ot to open another application.Hitting retry does nothing, so I have to shut the program that is stalled down and start over again.On some occasions I have gone to the task manager and it says the stalled program is "not responding". I will also tell you that I run Norton anti-virus and Ad-Aware Se Personal once a week.It is quite common for me to remove as many as 60 "critical errors" in just one week`s time.

I mentioned this to the local computer shop in my town and he suggested I bring the computer in and he says he would need to clean the "registry". The last time this happened it took me forever to reconfigure e-mail programs, etc and I`d prefer not to have to go through that again.Anyone have any suggestions that I might try?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:09 PM

Welcome. I have had good luck with ccleaner from:www.ccleaner.com. Pay attention to the issues tab, and backup before removal. the program allows you to restore in case of a mishap. also run the cleaner. You will be amazed. I would also download erunt from:http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/. It will backup your registry for you and save you a lot of grief. Good luck, and if that doesn't help, post again.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 20 October 2005 - 11:08 PM

It is quite common for me to remove as many as 60 "critical errors" in just one week`s time.

Spywareblaster - A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard - A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users