Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP won't load multiprocessor drive on startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dylantherabbit

dylantherabbit

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:32 AM

Hello All,
Need some help with fixing my son's pc...it's a dual core athlon running xp pro and has worked fine until recently. problems started with pc powering down randomly without warning.
I checked for viruses and the like but found nothing, so changed the hard drive and re-installed xp pro from scratch.
That seemed to work, except a few days later, it now hangs on the logo screen. booting under safe mode, it seems to stop at the point where it loads the multiprocessor driver, at least that's where the bootlog showed it failed to load any drivers.
Does anybody out there know what's causing this fault...is it hardware or software?
I've changed the hdd and the psu and now i'm stuck with reloading xp again, but without a real reason for the fault i can't be certain if it will happen again.
I've heard that XP sometimes has a problem with amd chips..could it be a recent system update downloaded a rogue patch or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

<<I've heard that XP sometimes has a problem with amd chips..could it be a recent system update downloaded a rogue patch or something?>>

Please...try not to grasp at straws made of air. I'm curious as to where you heard the above about "AMD chips"...in any case, whatever the source, it has no substance.

The fact that you state that the system ran well until recently...should be enough to conclude that such is highly unlikely.

When you say that the system "powered down"...do you mean that it shut off totally, no power to anything?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 dylantherabbit

dylantherabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:42 PM

The system is a self build, it's on an ECS geforce 6100sm-m motherboad with a dual core athlon. 4gb ram, new 250 gb sata hdd. onboard gpu.

When i mean powered down, i do mean instant off - everything.

Dylan.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:49 PM

And...you replaced the PSU with a new one?

What PSU might that be (manufacturer and model)?

You did checks for possible overheating of the system (checked fan functionality, checked temps, cleaned system)?

No error message of any sort?

You currently cannot boot into safe mode...or normally?

Louis

#5 dylantherabbit

dylantherabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:18 PM

i replaced the psu with a brand new one...an octigen 500w model 149898psotg

I've checked for overheating...by looking at the bios during boot up, cpu temperature was 37 deg. power down temperature is set at 80 deg, with a warning at 70 deg.

I've blown out the cpu heat sink and fan with an air can.

booting into safe mode, it stops at the same point...where it loads the mup driver.

I just swapped out the hdd again and tried loading the os from scratch again. the reload proceeds normally for about 20 mins and then goes off. It goes passed the first reboot and then fails/shuts down when windows tries to load.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

Hmmm...not good.

I'm moving this from XP to Internal Hardware, where others can take a look.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users