Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean install and wiping out recovery partition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 smak451

smak451

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:02 AM

I don't plan on using this partition so I'm wondering if it's okay to wipe that clean as well (if I can get access) using something like DBan? If so can it cause problems with my microsoft license using the reinstall disk? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Deadone

Deadone

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:39 AM

Hi... I'm not an expert or anything, but recently I thought I had a boot sector virus.

*here is some info*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_sector

I was looking on how to get rid of one... and some sources say that you may have to do a flash of the motherboard, then a low level wipe of the hard drive, but wait until one of the main guys/gals gives you more info...

I really don't want to steer you wrong.

#3 smak451

smak451
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:04 AM

Thanks man, if you have a boot sector virus wouldn't booting from the install disk and then doing the wipe take of it? Just go into your BIOS and configure CD ROM to be first in line to boot. I'm not an expert or anything either, but that's the advice I was given. Take Care.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

Factory reinstalls...using manufacturer-supplied CDs/DVDs...are governed by procedures set up by the system manufacturer.

To see if such disks require files stored on the hard drive...you have to inspect your documentation for using said disks.

Louis

#5 smak451

smak451
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:39 AM

Thanks Louis, if I can find it I will. But can viruses/malware jump the partition and hide out in the recovery drive? The RK I have seems sophisticated so just go through the reinstall while leaving the recovery drive would be a waste of time if this were probable. Any ideas? Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users