Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Upgrade (ATI or Nividia?)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 assassin8er

assassin8er

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:11 AM

About a year ago I built a computer with all new parts and an old graphics card. While this setup has worked so far I am encountering more and more lag with the newer games. I was planning on upgrading to a new graphics card from my current Nividia 7950.

I have done some searching on Newegg and found five cards I'm looking at (Compared Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompa...5E14-125-333-TS). My budget is around $200.

I have little knowledge of the various specs of Graphics Cards (for example the difference in Stream Processing Units(ATI) and Processing Cores(Nividia)). I was hoping that someone here who has more knowledge then me can point me in the right direction.

I use my computer for various things: I use it for Lan and Gaming, Programming and Graphic Design (though only occasionally).

I can post detailed specs of my computer in a post later if they will help but here are the basics:
  • AMD Triple Core Processor
  • 7950 Nividia GFX Card
  • 600 OCZ PSU
  • 4 GB Corsair Viper RAM
  • I have a midsized case (Radmax Smilodon)
Some notes:
I would prefer to use a ATI/Radeon card since I enjoyed KOTOR (apparently Nividia drivers cause a crash???)
I want a card with DX11
I want a card that will last so I won't have to buy a new one every year or two. The card shouldn't burn out but become obsolete first (though hopefully that time is a long way away).

All help is appreciated. If you can remove an item from my list or want to add one for consideration please feel free.

I made a post a lot like this a while ago and decided to hold off for the Fermi's (hoping that they would lower prices and improve on ATI's cards) I can not say if they have or not though I know people who greatly enjoy their card. If you feel that spending an extra 50+ dollars on a Fermi is worth it please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I did some searching on Tiger. I have heard good things about HIS and was considering one of their lesser cards.
Is this one any good?. It has good ratings, but then again theirs only 5.

EDIT 2: Another question that I just thought of. The ATI cards have a prefix of HD and their site says that they require an HD display. I have a LCD Monitor that does not say that it's HD. I just want to make sure it works. I know it should but I would feel really stupid spending 200 dollars on a card that didn't work. Thanks again for the help.

Edited by assassin8er, 17 July 2010 - 12:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:09 AM

A month ago, this would have been an easy answer, grab a 5770 and call it a day. The GTX465 is just a pig.

That GTX460 though is putting up some really good numbers, but for the same price, the ATI 5830 might be a better deal. They are pretty evenly matched. The 5830 and the GTX460 are the competitors at the $200 point now.

It might be prudent to wait a couple weeks to see how prices on ATI cards settle. Prices have already dropped some since the GTX260 was introduced, and further price cuts might be on the way, possibly maybe.

The "HD" is just two letters, it's marketing.

Edited by dpunisher, 17 July 2010 - 09:10 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 assassin8er

assassin8er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:51 AM

Alright, thanks. I'll wait a week or two and look at those 5830's.
Are the GTX260's better than the 460's? Usually the numbers go up not down, then again Intel's Core processors have doen the same thing with their i7, i5 and i3's.

I appreciate the help.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

Are the GTX260's better than the 460's?

Just a typo on my part, meant to type "GTX460".

Something to consider as well is the DX11 performance/tesselation performance of the 5830 vs the GTX460. NVidia holds a bit of a lead in that department.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 assassin8er

assassin8er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:16 PM

Alright. The 5830's and Fermi's are a little over my price range. Is it worth it to buy a cheaper Fermi or a more expensive 5770?

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:33 PM

From what I've read the GTX 460 is more powerful than the Radeon 5830 in most tests. The Fermi cards are the GTX 460 and up. The Radeon 5770 cards are usually more powerful than the GTS 250, which is pretty much a rebranded 9800 GTX.

HardOCP - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Review Round-Up - A listing of GTX 460 Reviews.

3939.png

#7 assassin8er

assassin8er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:17 PM

Thanks those reviews are helpful. With a little more earching I have found some cheaper Fermi's at around $200. Would it be worth the extra money to get a 465 or not? I can't afford the 480 or the 470 but I can get a lower end 465 if I spend near the maximum limit of my budget. The question is, is it worth it?

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:40 PM

The GTX 465 is either marginally faster in some games, or equal to the GTX 260 1GB in terms of performance. The Radeon 5850 beats the GTX 260 slightly in most games, therefore, I suggest either of the following two cards.

SAPPHIRE 100282-3SR Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB (This is a big card measuring in at about 9.5 inches long, make sure you can fit it in your case)

or

GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB (The 1GB version seems to be the better of the two GTX 460 versions)

If you have a Crossfire or SLI capable motherboard and want to use either technology, your choice may have already been made for you as ATI/AMD cards can only use Crossfire and Nvidia cards can only use SLI.

3939.png

#9 assassin8er

assassin8er
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

I think I'll go with this one (GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB). The Radeon card won't fit in my case. I have almost exactly 10.5 inches of room from back of computer to casings, not to mention that it's $40 cheaper. Thanks a lot everyone this has really helped.

#10 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

Wise choice. (Can't believe I am saying that about an NVidia product.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users