Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Video Card Installed, No Display Signal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kylok

Kylok

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

Hi there,

Recently when booting up my computer, instead of starting up normally, the fans started up loudly, and I got a series of beeps. I researched the beep codes, and it meant there was a problem with the video card. I have since purchased a new video card (EVGA GeForce 9800 gtx+) and a new power supply (Antec BP550), since the old one was 350w and the new card required 450+.

After installing both of these new components, the computer was able to boot up normally again (I could hear the startup sounds when speakers were plugged in, and all fans / drives sounded normal), but there was no display signal to my monitor. I tried resetting CMOS--it had no effect.

So clearly the new video card fixed the issue, but now I have a new one.. and the fact that the old card is junk makes solving it a bit tricky. My guess would be that I need to either uninstall the old video card drivers, install new ones, both, or mess with BIOS settings, but at no point does my monitor ever receive any signal through this new card, so I'm basically operating the (working) computer blind. There's no onboard video, and I have no access to another video card... without just buying another one.

In case it's relevant, my PC was an HP pre-built one from late 2006 or early 2007. This is its motherboard:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c00864933

My main question is: SHOULD I be getting video without having installed drivers (or prepared in any way) for this card-swap? If so, then I suppose the card could be defective or something.. but that just seems unlikely to me. Are there any super-basic video cards I could buy that should be guaranteed to give me a display signal, just so I can use the computer long enough to prepare for the switch to the better card? Or (preferably), is there some way I can fix this without buying anything else?

Thanks in advance..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:28 PM

You absolutely should be getting video during bootup (BIOS screens). The fact you don't indicates a hardware problem.

Do you have your 6pin connector plugged in to the video card?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Kylok

Kylok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:17 AM

Ah, alright. I do have a 6-pin connector plugged in, yep. So if I haven't done anything else stupidly, it's most likely a faulty card or motherboard, I guess..?

#4 Kylok

Kylok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:51 AM

Ok, also: through an insane miracle of blind keyboard usage and assistance from a second computer, I was able to start a Skype call between the aforementioned display-less computer and another one in the same room, and I was able to share the screen of the display-less one to the working one. (So I could see what I was doing on it through Skype on the other computer.)

The resolution is very small, but other than that, everything seems to be working fine. (Aside from not being able to see anything.) I downloaded and installed the latest drivers for the card, but I'm still getting no feed to the monitor. It's a relatively new monitor, and it seems almost impossible that the monitor went bad at the same time as the video card...

Also, I tried plugging the monitor into both ports on the card. Neither worked.

#5 Mark889

Mark889

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

I had the same issue over a year ago with an older Dell computer and an EVGA 7900GT card. No display whatsoever after it was installed. The kicker of it was that the card worked fine in my other non Dell computers. :thumbsup: I ended up contacting EVGA support and they advised there was a firmware update that I needed to get from them to make it work. Hopefully, this will work for you too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users