Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Paging File Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wanganmr8

Wanganmr8

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:28 PM

I need a quick help on adjusting my paging file size.

I want to optimize it, however. As simple as it my sound, I think I am over looking it.

Here is a screen shot of my paging file, what should I fix?

My specs are:

2.0 Ghz
3G RAM
7,500 RPM HDD

Posted Image

Edited by Wanganmr8, 16 July 2010 - 08:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

Hi,

As long as you are not experiencing issues caused by the page file then I would just leave it be. Many problems have been caused by messing with the page file sizes such as system crashes. :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:34 PM

I agree with computerxpds. Windows does a good job of managing the paging file, and most users would find little practical difference, unless the fixed paging file can be on a fast dedicated drive.

The biggest optimization by far is minimising the requirement for paging, which is to say adequate RAM. If a system with 3GB of RAM is using the paging file enough to cause performance issues, that tells me the system usage is heavy enough to warrant using a 64 bit OS with more than 4GB of RAM. But if you're lucky enough to have a Windows installation that can access beyond 3GB of real memory, then having 4GB of RAM fitted could give more benefit from the extra 200MB or so of available RAM than you'd get from tweaking the paging file.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Wanganmr8

Wanganmr8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:57 AM

Thanks everyone!

Well I don't remember the exact number for default paging size.

What should I do? Use the recommended, or leave it off?

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:03 AM

You should just leave it as it is in the picture, which in the picture it is managed by windows is checked. :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#6 Wanganmr8

Wanganmr8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

You should just leave it as it is in the picture, which in the picture it is managed by windows is checked. :thumbsup:

ok, thanks! :flowers:

Close thread please.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:54 AM

Generally, we don't close threads...they may be of value to someone with a similar situation.

Glad you received the proper answers :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users