Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting inside power supply fan

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 beto85

beto85

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:06 PM

Hi all,

Looks like I'm back again, but this time one of the PC fans is the problem.

About 3 weeks ago one of the fans on the PC began making squeeking and scratchy noise as it spins. The fan is the one from the power supply near the top of the tower and I tried dusting it but the noise continues, it's a very loud almost grinding noise. I read online that sometimes you may need to put a drop of oil if it begins to dry up so the cylinder is lubricated again but I can't find my way into the fan mechanism. I bought my HP Media Center m370n PC in 2003 and this type of noise happened before more than a year ago, but it went away. This time it looks like it's back but it continues so I want to try oiling the cylinder but I'm also going to buy replacement fans. The power supply is a Hipro HP-A2027F3 with a Max output of 200 watts. The fan is a Superred DC12v 0.17A CHA8012CS and I tried looking for the manufacturer online but I can't find anything related to Superred. I've seen a guide online that shows an oil well underneath the sticker of a fan, but when I peeled it off there was no plastic plug to pop out to reveal a well. There was only a hole but it doesn't lead to anything. Next to the hole are two narrow holes that look like a flathead screwdriver could fit in there but that's it. If I can't oil the fan then replacing it with a new one is the best option but I noticed the red and black wires that connect the fan to the power supply are soldered or attached in a special way to both the fan and the power supply. It appears that the wires are attached to two little dots on the chip in the power supply so I think if I were to replace the fan, I would leave the wires attached to the power supply and just remove the end on the old fan. But I'm not sure what I would need to remove the wires from the old fan and how to attach them to the new one without damaging the wires and the new fan. I'm attaching a pic of the fan, and I will take additional pics of the fan if requested. Thanks,

Beto

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users