Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP Pro issues following Malware Infection

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 phoenix85

phoenix85

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:47 PM

Referral Link- http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/327821/kasspersky-anti-virus-disabledslow-loading-webpages/
Hello,

I would like to address some issues concerning Win XP Professional in the aftermath of
a malware infection. My PC has been declared clean from infection.

Following a malware cleanup procedure, thanks to moderator Blade from this forum, I have
noticed a couple of new problems which I have outlined below.

1) On PC bootup, I keep getting the safe mode screen with Advanced Options right before Win XP logo appears.
This is not the menu screen with options to select WIn XP and Recovery Console which I have installed.

2) After logging in, the taskbar icons like the Anti-Virus application loads up slowly. So is the case with
My Computer when accessed from Start Menu or othewise.

3) I cannot save files to my folders from running any apllication like Office 2007. Like say, I want to
save a word document to my hard drive, the Save AS menu just hangs up.

I have to point out that as part of the cleanup procedure, I had to install Dial-a-Fix application to fix Automatic Updates issue.
(Automatic Updates had been turned off and I couldn't get it back on from the Security Center).

I think I began to face these problems after executing Dial-a-fix application.
Any help would be greatly appreciated in fixing these issues.

Thank you.

EDit Repaired BC link to MR log~~boopme

Edited by boopme, 16 July 2010 - 09:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:45 AM

1) On PC bootup, I keep getting the safe mode screen with Advanced Options right before Win XP logo appears.
This is not the menu screen with options to select WIn XP and Recovery Console which I have installed.

If you have run Combofix this is normal - Combo installs a backup in case of problems -
Sorry - Someone else will need to help with other problems -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:51 AM

Try running chkdsk /r.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot.

The chkdsk /r will run and the system will boot into XP upon completion of chkdsk /r.

It's not unusual for system and other files to become damaged by malware and removal of such. In some cases, running the sfc /scannow command or doing a repair install can overcome such.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Louis

#4 phoenix85

phoenix85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:01 PM

Hey guys!

I apologize for my late response.
Thanks noknojon and hamluis for your input.

I can access My Computer without any delay and save files from the drop down menu.
No issues there. Did run the chkdsk application as suggested by hamluis, and the system
gave me a clean report. ( Not related to the normal running of My Computer or Save as menu)

So, the only unresolved issue is the XP safe mode screen at PC startup. Now, I know that
after you run Combofix, the computer displays both Win XP and Recovery console as options.Now, I keep
getting the same notification screen (the one you get when you hit F8 key). Is there any way I can correct this?

Besides that, My PC seems to be running fine.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:34 PM

Have you changed anything, using msconfig?

Louis

#6 phoenix85

phoenix85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:53 AM

Hi Louis,

While fixing the malware issue, I was told to run the safeboot option under msconfig. Couldn't get
through safe mode( gave me a stop error). I had to use an alternative winxp cd to revert to normal
setting. Got it fixed and was able to access boot.ini under msconfig. I didn't see the safe mode screen after this process.
I remember that it was after I ran the Dial-a-fix application to fix Automatic Updates issue.

If you are referring to changes in startup under msconfig, I haven't changed anything.

By the way, just to let you know, a fellow user has created a new user account. Hope this doesn't complicate things.

Edited by phoenix85, 22 July 2010 - 07:06 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:07 AM

Safeboot is not currently enabled?

Louis

#8 phoenix85

phoenix85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:53 PM

No.
I'm running WIn XP in normal mode.

#9 phoenix85

phoenix85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:41 PM

Hello Louis,

It's been quite a while waiting for you response. Any further solutions?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:31 PM

Well...I previously suggested running the sfc /scannow command to replace any damaged/missing system files. Did you do that?

<<I had to use an alternative winxp cd to revert to normal setting.>>

I'm still trying to figure out what an "alternative winxp cd" might be and the effect it might have on your system.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users