Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Cooler Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 madman666

madman666

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:01 PM

My stock cpu fan on my amd phenom II 955 is getting really loud in the summer weather. B) it's not terribly hot in the room but the fan stays at 100% unless the AC is pumping. I was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions on a good replacement for the stock cooler. I'm not looking for anything custom cut and fitted. Just a cooler i can buy then put in. a good balance of price, cooling ability, and noise level. Not running a HTPC or anything. Nothing is overclocked. I do game but nothing crazy intense. It's just this loud whining is very annoying but I have little knowledge about cpu coolers. :huh:

So...

CPU Cooler for a AMD Phenom II 955
Balance of price and performance
Doesn't need to be ultra super quiet and i'm not overclocking anything
Easy to install
Needs to fit in a AZZA Helios 910 on a MSI 790X G45 :huh:

thanks in advance for any suggestions you have to offer. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:15 PM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Here is a link to newegg for CPU coolers, check through the list for one that meets your preference.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....p;x=16&y=23

If you need to ask questions about one of them, post a link to the one your interested in and we'll try to answer your questions.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:38 PM

Absolute best bang for the buck is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835233003 . I had it cooling a very overclocked i7 920 and it did a great job. Sometimes you can find it for $29.99 if you look around. Very quiet. I do not know about the AMD mount for this unit, as I have no experience with it on an AMD. You can't "clock" it (rotate it) like you can with an Intel mount, so it might cut down your install options.

I will caution you about installing little fan isolators on the heatsink fins. Trial and error, wrap bandaids around a couple fingertips to save blood.

Edited by dpunisher, 16 July 2010 - 11:40 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 madman666

madman666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

Absolute best bang for the buck is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835233003 . I had it cooling a very overclocked i7 920 and it did a great job. Sometimes you can find it for $29.99 if you look around. Very quiet. I do not know about the AMD mount for this unit, as I have no experience with it on an AMD. You can't "clock" it (rotate it) like you can with an Intel mount, so it might cut down your install options.

I will caution you about installing little fan isolators on the heatsink fins. Trial and error, wrap bandaids around a couple fingertips to save blood.

thanks for the suggestion! :thumbsup: but i think the phenom i have is an AM3 and the specs on that say it only fits AM2.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/035/...000_detail.html

I know scythe makes pretty quiet case fans. If anyone can share some wisdom about this brand or product that'd be great. :huh:

#5 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:26 PM

The cooler master Hyper 212+ is one of the best you can get for the $$$
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_...duct_id=0315397

Maximum pc magazine gave it very high rating and I have on on my i7 920 pc (o/c'd to 3.6 on air), this is a multi-compatible cpu cooler so it will fit your AMD chip too
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/c..._hyper_212_plus

Edit: this is a good sized cooler so your case will need to be at least 7 1/2" deep at a mininum

Edited by Joe C, 18 July 2010 - 02:31 PM.

#6 madman666

madman666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:00 PM

The cooler master Hyper 212+ is one of the best you can get for the $$$
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_...duct_id=0315397

Maximum pc magazine gave it very high rating and I have on on my i7 920 pc (o/c'd to 3.6 on air), this is a multi-compatible cpu cooler so it will fit your AMD chip too
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/c..._hyper_212_plus

Edit: this is a good sized cooler so your case will need to be at least 7 1/2" deep at a mininum

wow that looks like a really good choice. great on the price too. found it funny that newegg is charging double what everyone else is...

so looks like the Hyper 212+ will keep things cool, but what about the noise level. that's the main reason for getting a new cooler. will it whine like the stock cooler i have now when ambient temps are a little high?

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:12 PM

Looks like it runs at about 50.1 dBA, at high fan speed, and 35.3 at low speed.
A review at FrostyTech.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 madman666

madman666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

Looks like it runs at about 50.1 dBA, at high fan speed, and 35.3 at low speed.
A review at FrostyTech.

kk. and does anyone know how that would compare to the stock cooler?

#9 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:17 AM

I have my hyper 212+ set to run at 50% speed via the bios, and it's is not loud at all, like a whisper. The highest cpu temp out of four cores is at 44

Although Newegg is charging twice as much, you can get it some place else for the msrp price. I reckon the Egg think they can get more because these heatsinks are so popular--- too bad because I always thought better of them. You can still read the customer reviews about the hyper 212+ on the Newegg web site if you want a better idea about this.

How quiet is quiet? At 100% speed on the fan it will be noticeable, some may say that at this speed it is loud, even at 50% speed it's not silent as I would consider silent, meaning no sound at all. I do not have anything here to measure the db at 50% in my office

Edited by Joe C, 19 July 2010 - 09:18 AM.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

Also, the noise you hear from the HSF will have a lot to do with the case you have it in.
My HSF is rated at 52.6 dBA on high, which is what I keep it at.
In my case, counting the heatsink, and power supply, I'm running 7 120mm fans.
The case sits on my desktop, less than a foot from my head.
If I have music playing, or the A/C on, I don't hear a thing.
With all quiet in the house, it's still barely audible.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users