Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq desk top won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 seanisemarie

seanisemarie

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

Hello I am having trouble with my compaq computer it won't turn on when I plug it up the green light comes on in the back. Like it should but when I got to push the power button to turn it on the light goes out and it does not turn on. So I turned it around and try pushing the button and noticed the fan would not turn almost like something was blocking it so I blew inside of it when I did that and pushed the power button the fan turned and the computer came on with no problem. So I figured the dust build up was the problem so I took it to clean the dust. Still the same problem won't come on I think it's something with the fan cause when I blow inside it comes on the computer is 3 years old. Could the fan be burnt out? And if so is it a simple fix in meaning is it going to cost under 200 to fix

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:23 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I read your complaint above.

You say you cleaned the computer out.

For this to have a real effect, you have to use compressed air and in some cases a toothbrush to throughly clean out every nook and cranny.

Your PSU exhaust fan (if that is the one that you are referring too) may have dust caked onto the fan blades, causing either the fan to stop spinning or causing it to spin off balance.

The fan from what you stated above does spin, if you give it a little help, this could mean the fan's spindle is caked with dust as well, or the fan's barrings are worn.

They do sell replacement cooling fans for computers and PSU units.

You would have to remove the PSU from the case and open it up to gain access to the cooling fan, remove 4 screws and unplug the power plug, remove it and replace it with a new one and plugging its power wire in and reassembling the power supply and installing it back into the computer case.

I would try cleaning the unit, I want to add cooling fans are not expensive to purchase.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 seanisemarie

seanisemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:44 AM

Ok thank you I did clean it out with compressed air but i didn't think to have something else to help get the dust out lol I just blew the air in I will try that and see what happens

#4 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:58 AM

Unless you know what you are doing, I recommend you replace the power supply rather than attempt to replace the fan. The reason I say this is that there are lethal voltages inside the power supply case and these lethal voltages may still be present when the power supply is turned off and disconnected from the wall socket.

A replacement power supply should cost less than $100 and is a fairly simple remove and replace procedure. If you post the specs of your computer (especially make and model) we can make recommendations as to replacements.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:41 PM

At Strolln..thanks for your input and the warning you provided above, you are 100% correct! Also thanks for PMing me that I should have posted a warning about the high lethal voltages found inside a PSU and the risks involved with opening a computers PSU. You are correct and even though I did not give full instructions on how to perform the procedure or asked that the procedure to be performed, I was just posting a suggestion and breifly explaining how it can be done, I still should have posted a warning about the dangers involved. :flowers:

Thank you for being a valued member of Bleepingcomputer, that is why Bleepingcomputer is such a highly recommended web site, it has a large community of members who work together to help each other!

That's what I call Teamwork! :thumbsup:

At seanisemarie, What strolln posted above is sound advice and should be followed with absolute confidence, strolln's warning and recommendation is the safest procedure you should try with the best and safest results!

Kind regards as always.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 18 July 2010 - 12:49 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users