Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse/Keyboard not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gatoramanda

gatoramanda

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

Hi - and thank you for listening to my problem :thumbsup:

I was cleaning up my desktop (Dell Dimension B110 circa early 2006) and removed Adobe Photoshop 7 (and selected "yes to all" when prompted to remove all parts) and then removed an old HP Printer. Adobe Photoshop asked me to restart my computer - but I didn't do that until after I deleted the printer as well. After the reboot, my keyboard and mouse were gone. I could see my mouse centered in the middle of my screen (it's a logitech cordless optical which is working as I've used it and replaced batteries). My keyboard and mouse allow me to access the following:

F2 - Bios - i can use my keyboard, but nothing here is helping as far as I can tell.

F8 - Safe Mode and even last known good configuration - but as soon as Windows loads, I cannot use keyboard or mouse.

F12 - can take extended test and use mouse and keyboard in the system test, but nothing works after I leave the test.

Both mouse and keyboard are USB, but I have used the converter and made them PS/2 to no avail.

Extended test originally failed USB Ping test 2x but I just retested and now it passed, however still cannot use mouse or keyboard.

Have a usb drive in front USB, is lit up, so I know there is power to them, it's just not letting anything open.

Furthermore:
After I let Windows load - even though I cannot use it due to lack of mouse/keyoard - I am getting some of the following:

1. Microsoft Outlook Icon - wasn't there before....may be because I booted from windows cd

2. "Hardware Installation" pop up in middle of screen stating "The software you are installing for this hardware: Standard Floppy disk controller - has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify it s compatibility with Windows XP.....of course I don't have a floppy disk nor did I attempt to install one...

3. Getting a Found New Hardware: Intel 82801EB Universal Host Controller 24D

Maybe some of these can provide additional insight to someone?

I hope I've provided enough background for some help - I've been surfing and attempting fixes for 2 days to no avail...which is not my norm. Please help! Thank you!

EDIT: Split 2d poster from this thread ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2010 - 09:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:05 PM

Hello Amanda. :thumbsup: to the BC forums.

Let's have a look at one possible reason for the keyboard and mouse not working within Windows, namely un-wanted UpperFilters settings remaining in the registry.

WARNING:
(The information provided requires using the Windows Registry Editor.)
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Do NOT make any changes while using the Registry Editor to obtain the necessary information.

:) Create for yourself a bootable BartPE CD.
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/create-b...ing-pe-builder/

:huh: Boot from the BartPE CD and load the SYSTEM registry hive.
See the following link for how to do this:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm
(Load the SYSTEM hive, not the SOFTWARE hive.)
When it comes time to UNLOAD THE HIVE and exit the Registry Editor, pay particular attention to item number/step 9, in the linked article.

:huh: Select key
Navigate to the following key, in the left window pane ...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select <<< key

and note the number in the data column for the Default & Current entries.
(I will designate x to represent that number, in the following instructions)

B) keyboard

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} <<< key

and highlight it (left-click on it). *Be sure to locate the correct key.
Now, in the right-hand-side window pane, you will see on the left under "Name", "UpperFilters".
Double-click on "UpperFilters" and a small window will open.
Please record the items you see listed in the window under "Value data".

Now click "Cancel" to close the small window.

B) mouse

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} <<< key

and highlight it (left-click on it). *Be sure to locate the correct key.
Now, in the right-hand-side window pane, you will see on the left under "Name", "UpperFilters".
Double-click on "UpperFilters" and a small window will open.
Please record the items you see listed in the window under "Value data".

Now click "Cancel" to close the small window.
Now, please UNLOAD THE HIVE, and then close the Registry Editor window.

Please post the lists of "the items you see listed in the window under "Value data"", for both keyboard and mouse.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 gatoramanda

gatoramanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

Thanks so much for the response - I will make a disk tomorrow and do what you have instructed and get back to you tomorrow night :thumbsup: Thank you!

#4 The Computer Chic

The Computer Chic

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

I realize this is an older post, but was a solution ever made? I'm having the same issue, I think.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

Please create a new topic and describe the problem you are having and what led up to the problem.

We'll then have a look at it.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users