Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving to the US

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:30 PM

Right, I'm moving to the US< but I'm not quite sure where to start just yet....
I don't know anyone who has moved from the UK to the US before either.
Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:43 PM

One thing will be helpful is knowing which state, in the US. Each state has different agencies you may need to deal with. Do you have a work visa? From there we can likely get you headed in the right direction.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

Sorry: Living in NJ, and working in NYC.
At the moment, I do not have a work permit or anything like that.
Thanks for the quick response!
GB

Edited by brooksey!!!, 16 July 2010 - 04:51 PM.

#4 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:34 PM

I would know how the fork is in the steel about Canada and Usa.
Why did I make this note, well I doing that for the next reason:

My Brother in Law told me 2 years ago that when you want emigrate to the Usa, that you must first living for 6 months in Canada, before you can live in the Usa.
I told my Brother in Law, Brother in Law dear fellow, you are wrong, when you want emigrate to the Usa, then is it not needed that you must first living in Canada for 6 months, maybe was this for the War, but what I do know, is this not needed, the Usa take now the decision or you may live in the Usa.
So now want I know, have I right or is my Brother in Law right.?
I was reading the message from brooksey, so I thought, know you what, this old guy asking this, then I do know, who is right and who is wrong.
Ps. My Brother in Law had this hearing from other people.

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:55 PM

Hey, brooksey!!!

Northern NJ is an expensive place to live, but not as expensive as New York City.

Having worked in NYC on and off over the years (and not doing that now) mass transit is almost certainly going to be the way to go. Get to know the train and bus routes and schedules for New Jersey Transit and PATH (Port Authority Trans Hudson) lines. Also subway and bus routes in NYC. You'll have lots (and lots, and lots and LOTS) of company, but it's not a bad way to catch up on a newspaper and avoid the traffic mess.

New Jersey Transit

PATH

And, welcome!

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

Hi, I am in NJ. Are you single/ married? Have kids? Coming as a tourist or permanent,if the latter you may need a work visa. For that you need to find a job and the employer has to be willing to sponsor your visa. The visa is much easier to get if you are a college graduate. If not it is based on experience. Or have 3 months on the Tourist to find a job.

As mentioned this is like the most expensive area in the US,but also probably the best paying. A third floor walk up with 3 rooms and bath,,, about $US 800/month. Plus electric ,Phone and TV/internet.. (where I live the last 3 are combined in my home for 125.00
Mass Transit card $35 /mo. Pizza $2.00 a slice LOL.

Edited by boopme, 16 July 2010 - 09:13 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:33 AM

I would know how the fork is in the steel about Canada and Usa.
Why did I make this note, well I doing that for the next reason:

My Brother in Law told me 2 years ago that when you want emigrate to the Usa, that you must first living for 6 months in Canada, before you can live in the Usa.
I told my Brother in Law, Brother in Law dear fellow, you are wrong, when you want emigrate to the Usa, then is it not needed that you must first living in Canada for 6 months, maybe was this for the War, but what I do know, is this not needed, the Usa take now the decision or you may live in the Usa.
So now want I know, have I right or is my Brother in Law right.?
I was reading the message from brooksey, so I thought, know you what, this old guy asking this, then I do know, who is right and who is wrong.
Ps. My Brother in Law had this hearing from other people.

Haha,
that's funny!

No, Canada is not part of the US so living there first doesn't do any good..

Just go through the proper channels and come on over!

:thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#8 boethe

boethe

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:19 AM

Really good New Jersey representation here. I take a New Jersey Transit (NJT) train called the Gladstone to the Hoboken station which is on the Hudson river; I then take a ferry to the World Financial Center. I could also take the PATH underground but I prefer the ferry. The commute is 1hr 20minutes on average. You can live in Hoboken or Jersey City on the Hudson and skip the train part of the commute if you don't want a house with a yard. People usually work in either midtown or downtown in NYC so your commute options will vary depending.

#9 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:45 AM

Nice! Theres some good stuff here! I'm thinking Hackensack sort of area... to rent an apartment/flat. Anyone know of any good places to start for that?
It would just be me living there...
I'm 17, so I'm not married and have no kids!!! Hopefully wont be/have any for a while yet!

#10 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:52 AM

Nice! Theres some good stuff here! I'm thinking Hackensack sort of area... to rent an apartment/flat. Anyone know of any good places to start for that?
It would just be me living there...
I'm 17, so I'm not married and have no kids!!! Hopefully wont be/have any for a while yet!

Have you started the process yet with the proper channels? First thing to do would be to contact the American embassy, and go through the uscis.gov website to ensure that you are eligible for any type of Visa. Unlike most people think, emigrating to the US isn't a simple process (e.g. you can't just take a plane and settle down and become a Legal Permanent Resident), nor is it a fast and cheap one. If you're income's low, you'll run into some obvious roadblocks as well. If you are really determined, you can succeed, but trust me when I say, you'll need lots and lots of patience. The wait times for Visa apps can be quite lengthy.

Not sure if a 17 year old can actually go through the process of obtaining a Visa without an adult's sponsorship... you'd best look into that first and foremost.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:28 AM

This is good. Great place to start!
I intend to stay in the UK for at least 3 more years before moving - I just want to get the ball rolling now, so that i can get out there when I want to, and not have to get all the visa rubbish sorted after these three years.
Do you think i will still need sponsorship if this is the case?

#12 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:56 AM

Buy an unlocked GSM phone and an American SIM once you get here. You have to have a phone. Also, get a bank account set up in this country before you get here, otherwise you will be charge large additional fees from your English bank with every international purchase. What I did was started an brokerage account with Charles Shwab and just never traded and used the awesome checking account that comes with it. No international fees and free international atm.

You don't get the Visa, your boss does. You are the beneficiary, not the holder. You might need an Employment Authorization Document though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users