Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having trouble with my USB ports

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wizejoker

wizejoker

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

Hello,

Bought a new printer this week and I was hoping to install it on my computer. After inserting the disc that came with the printer, my disc driver just spun the disc a few times and never recognized the disc. So, I figured why not just download the driver from Lexmark instead and see how that works. So i downloaded the driver from their website and I'm in the middle of installing. I get to a point where it's necessary I plug the USB port into the printer so that they can calibrate things between the printer and computer. When I plugged the printer into my computer, a Found New Hardware Wizard screen popped up (the bubble also popped up at the bottom saying ''LEXMARK 4300"). So, I clicked the recommend search for drivers and after searching for a while, it came up with zilch. So i did the advanced search and tried to have the wizard look specifically in the driver folder I just downloaded from Lexmark. That didn't work because i couldn't find a folder that had any file ending with '.inf'. Now I'm stuck at a point where I'm not sure where to go next. For the past two years i have had problems with my usb ports and everything new that I put in them. Old things like my ipod, my zune, and a few flash drives are recognized and work well. But anything new will not work. Any clues on how I can install this printer and fix my usb problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:54 AM

You have to open the folders within the file...which you downloaded. The .inf file is included in at least one of them.

Then scroll to the location of that particular folder when doing your search.

As for USB problems...try uninstalling (via Device Manager) the USB controllers listed...and then rebooting XP.

General USB Problems in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users