Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on thinkpad x41

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:36 PM

I have a thinkpad x41 w/ winxp tab ed sp3 and 1.5 GB memory. Since I took it out of the box programs have repeatedly crashed - Word, firefox, paperport. I defrag regularly, keep enough free hdd space available for windows and keep an eye on commit charge to see if windows is having to use paging - rarely if ever w/ my general usage.

I recently had to replace the HDD - both lenovo's toolbox and HD Tune reported bad sectors. Since I put in the new drive, did the format/install via recovery discs and the million and one updates it's been one after another "this program is not responding". The mmc consoles, updates, acs.exe, and runas app when I tried to access device manager. Currently it's blue screening.

I run avast av, windows firewall, malwarebytes, spywareblaster, windows update & I'm behind a router. I have the latest ed of firefox, and use noscript, better privacy and web of trust. Its current blue screen may be from malware, but its long hx of instability isn't.

All the hardware checks out per lenovo's toolbox. Both lenovo's toolbox utility and HD Tune agree the new hd is ok. [Are there utilities that check for hardware compatibility w/ winxp tab ed?]

I'm wondering if winxp tab ed is the problem. With the recovery disks it's an automatic install, so I couldn't mess it up. Per my reading, there aren't winxp tab ed cd's, so unless people have figured out how to make their own, those using tab ed must also be using recovery cd's provided by the vendor.

Have others found winxp tab ed works well on their tablets or has everyone w/ a working tablet put winxp or win7 on their tablets?

Edited by hamluis, 16 July 2010 - 01:31 PM.
Merged threads, same topic, IMO ~ Hamluis.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:02 PM

thinkpad x41 running winxp tab ed sp 3; 1.5 GB RAM. Recently replaced HDD and did reformat/reinstall from recovery discs.

The blue screen doesn't last long before the tablet restarts, so all I've managed to see is "registry error" and a stop whose hex value I don't have time to copy down. I've never had a blue screen where the computer restarted.

Neither safe mode nor last good configuration work. With safe mode I get a listing of what's loading that stops at mup.sys and then the screen freezes. With last known good configuration or normal startup I get the blue screen.

The thinkpad has a rescue & recovery function, but it only lets you reinstall from the hidden partition - not do repairs. It does have a hardware diagnostic feature and everything - like memory - checked out. It's also supposed to let me copy my personal docs to a usb HDD and I've done that in the past, but this time it's telling me it can't access the docs.

I recently had a blue screen on my old win2k laptop, so I have a reatogo CD and I successfully booted the thinkpad w/ it from an external optical drive [the thinkpad doesn't have an optical drive]. I'm going to try backing up my personal docs w/ it. Then, if I remember correctly, I could try copying the registry from a restore point to system32/config.

Is that what I should try at this point?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:12 PM

Well, I did say mostly the same thing in both threads but I actually had 2 different questions and not enough sleep.

1. Is winxp tab ed a buggy os or is this a lemon thinkpad for unknown reasons.

2. Need help w/ BSOD.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 07:44 AM

Sooo...the system boots into neither safe mode nor normal mode?

Louis

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:33 PM

No, w/ safe mode I get a screen full of drivers loading stopping at mup.sys and then freezing. When I try last known good configuration I get the blue screen, but the system tries booting again immediately so I only get a quick look at the blue screen. It says registry error and there's a stop but I don't have enough time to read the hex value given. Think it's mostly zeros.

I've booted using the reatogo cd and there are several system restore folders in system volume [I think that's the name of the folder] I think the back up registry hives are in the snapshot subfolders. So at this point should I try copying registry hives over to system32/config? When I did this w/ my dell desktop I used recovery console and a command prompt [and it didn't work], so all this looks different w/ the reatogo mini OS.

The immediate reboot after a blue screen made me wonder about malware, but there was nothing prior to the blue screen to make me think malware.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#6 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

Update
I used the reatogo cd to boot into its mini OS and renamed System, Security, Sam & Software to System.old etc. in system32\config. I then copied and pasted the _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM etc files from the next to the last system volume information\_restore \PR\snapshot folder over to system32\config and then renamed them system, sam, security and software. The date for the snapshot was right before the blue screen, so there weren't any hardware or software changes made prior to the snapshot.
I then exited the mini OS - I tried using start>shut down. The cd drive w/ the reatogo cd made noise, but the OS doesn't shut down. I have to hold down the power button to shut down.

Anyway, then I unplugged the external optical drive and rebooted and Windows loaded. I got a message when I first booted up that "the system has recovered from a serious error". Clicking to see what the error report contains there was a message box that included an "Error signature" that I will try to attach. Clicking to view tech info about the error report I got another message box listing a dump file and an xml file in user\Locals~1\temp\WERe1f0.dir00. But I can't find a WERe1f0.dir00 folder in that user\local settings\temp and a search including system files and hidden files didn't find any .dmp files or the xml file.

I tried sending the error report to MS but I got an error message that windows couldn't find some ridiculously long file name.

I am still getting repeated "acs.exe has encountered a problem and has had to close down" error messages, like I did before the blue screen. My Avast AV updated itself automatically, like it's supposed to. I can access the internet via IE, but not firefox. Event viewer shows both acs and firefox as faulting applications. Also, before the blue screen I got several error messages that rundll32.exe had a "hang module hungapp" and drwtsn32.exe had a faulting module.

System event viewer error messages are that " The ACU Configuration Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 10 time(s)." Source is Service Control Manager. Prior to the blue screen I had error messages from Service Control Manager that "The MLPTDR_B service depends on the Parallel arbitrator group and no member of this group started." I looked that up, but I forget what I found - only that it didn't seem an urgent problem.

I don't know what to do from here with so many faulting applications. I have no idea why the registry suddenly went bad and the last known configuration didn't work. I just did a reinstall on a new HDD that HD Tune and lenovo toolbox say is OK. I can't do a clean install w/ winxp tab ed.- all I can do is another reinstall either from the hidden partition or the recovery cds and then a long list of windows and lenovo updates and I'll be right back where I am now. Like I have been everytime I've done a reformat/reinstall.

Any suggestions?

Attached Files

mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:02 PM

You say that you did a clean install...and all of these problems ensued.

If that is really the case...maybe it's time to start considering the system itself as the possible cause.

That system is at least 5 years old...it's a tablet PC.

At this point in time...my opinion is that it surely is in need of some servicing by IBM/Lenovo...for the above reasons alone.

IBM does not make tablet PCs...with the intent of them lasting 5 years or more. Probably no one does or we would not have the new models that come out like hotcakes every month/week/day.

If it were mine and I intended to keep using it...I'd send it in to Lenovo/IBM for some servicing/diagnostic eval that I would believe is sorely needed.

Or...I would say that I received 5 good years from it and spend much less money on a replacement laptop which is newer and has a warranty period that I can live with.

If this was a destop...I'd be tempted to just wipe the hard drive and reinstall XP and I could systematically determine what might be wrong then. I don't think that's possible on laptops (which explains my bias against them).

Just my opinion.

Louis

#8 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I have not done a clean install. I can't do a clean install since I don't have a winxp tab ed install disc. I don't know if there are any winxp tab ed install discs. Per my reading, MS only provided that OS to the tablet manufacturers - not to individual consumers.

Lenovo's recovery discs and installation from the recovery partition both put a lot of junk on the computer. I've spent hours figuring out what were the necessary programs, exe and dlls so I can uninstall/disable/remove from startup the unnecessary stuff- and then a bunch of updates change things.

The computer went back to lenovo shortly after I got it. It was ridiculous out of the box - explorer and journal crashing every five minutes. It came back improved, but still slow and Word & Firefox [the two apps I used the most] crashed regularly - way more often than on my desktop or my old laptop.

I can't afford to replace the tablet for awhile. What I've been wondering is what is the most likely cause for multiple apps to crash - why has this computer been unstable out of the box? Is winxp tab ed a buggy OS that didn't get patched up like winxp and vista or is it possible that the tablet hardware is incompatible w/ winxp tab ed or w/ windows period.

If winxp tab ed is the likely culprit I could try to put winxp or maybe win7 on the tablet - if the pen function can be added separately. I did some reading on that - and forgot what I read. I was hoping someone would have noticed if a lot of tablet users w/ winxp tab ed had problems w/ unstable apps or if everyone w/ winxp tab ed tablets went to tablets w/ another OS - or if a lot ot tablet users were happy w/ winxp tab ed. I've tried joining forums specifically for tablet users, but they must be short-staffed. Posts mostly don't get answered .

If the hardware is faulty or incompatible the less time/$ I spend on this computer the better.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users