Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 dragonfly_dreams_26

dragonfly_dreams_26

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:15 AM

Hey guys,

Big fan here. "Thcbytes" saved one of my computers from Malware. Now I'm writing in regard to a different computer & problem. At first, the OS (Windows XP Home) refused to boot. The monitor flashed the first 3 screens (POST, VPR Matrix, Windows), then issued a "No Signal" advisory. I ran the System Restore disk, and now Windows WILL load, but here are the problems I've noticed so far:

When showing the "Windows is starting" screen, the graphics are fuzzy and pixelated. The "windows flag" is shown in funky yellow and black colors.

Upon loading, there is no bottom toolbar with "Start" menu. I can only access "My Computer" through desktop icons.

Internet Explorer will not load.

The computer does not recognize any USB device I plug into the USB slots.

Have you ever encountered this before? Any suggestions?? :S
Thanks so much,
Rachelle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

The "no signal" indicates a basic hardware malfunction/failure of some type, IMO.

I would start with removing/reinstalling the RAM modules and physically removing the video card, if it is not onboard video.

If onboard video is used...I would try uninstalling current drivers (via Device Manager) and then reinstalling same.

System manufacturer and model? If custom...motherboard manufacturer and model?

http://www.vprmatrix.com/customer_contact_us.asp

Louis

#3 dragonfly_dreams_26

dragonfly_dreams_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:51 PM

Hi hamluis,

Thank you for your prompt response! I was able to take the computer apart today and remove/reinstall the RAM module and the video card. Unfortunately, nothing changed. Here are some additional issues I noticed today.

None of the files will open or execute. Pictures will not even preview. Any application I try to open will give me an error.

EX. hp document viewer = value cannot be null. parameter name:path1
malwarebytes = failed to load control 'vbalgrid' from vbalsgrid6.ocx
adobe reader 9 = the procedure entry point DecodePointer could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll
adopbe photoshop = Adobe Photoshop requires at least a 256-color display to run

Bizarre, huh? There is still no Start Toolbar at the bottom of the screen (just a thin strip of gray). USB devices are not recognized. The colors are still all pixelated and funky, and I think I see why... When I look at Display Properties in the Control Panel, it shows the Display as Plug and Play Monitor on NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200, with no way to change the Screen Resolution from Less (800x600 pixels) to More, and the only option I have for Color Quality is Lowest (4 bit).

Does this help at all? The computer is a VPXMatrix Series 220 with an Intel motherboard and processor. Any other ideas, or information I can give you to try to figure out the problem?

Thanks again,
Rachelle

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:36 PM

I would replace the CMOS battery, as an attempted cheap fix...before I went on to look at more complex suspects.

Louis

#5 dragonfly_dreams_26

dragonfly_dreams_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:23 PM

Ummm.. ok. What is a CMOS battery and how do I replace it?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:34 AM

My error, take a look: CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp.

CMOS batteries in desktops are easily identified, can be obtained at any store selling radio/electronic/watch batteries...for less than $5.

Louis

#7 dragonfly_dreams_26

dragonfly_dreams_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:55 PM

Hi Hamluis,

Well, I replaced the CMOS battery (which was probably due to be changed soon anyway), but operationally nothing seems to have changed. I did notice that upon the initial startup screen with the new battery, there was a message stating that numerous POST attempts have failed. However, Windows WILL load (to a point). Is there some kind of info that I can give you from BIOS, Control Panel, ANYTHING that might help you diagnose the problem?

Thanks,
:thumbsup:
Rachelle

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

You can post the exact content of these messages about failed POST efforts :thumbsup:.

When you replaced the battery...did you set BIOS settings to "default" and then save (hit F10) in the CMOS/BIOS?

Louis

#9 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

When I look at Display Properties in the Control Panel, it shows the Display as Plug and Play Monitor on NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200, with no way to change the Screen Resolution from Less (800x600 pixels) to More, and the only option I have for Color Quality is Lowest (4 bit).

try check you vga driver...update it....maybe the old driver was damage during the malware attack...check it in device manager first...

about the usb...try check it in BIOS setup...maybe its in disable...if its in disable setting change it to enable...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#10 TheGreyGuy

TheGreyGuy

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

Can you get to Safe Mode to update your video drivers? Have you rolled back to a date before the Malware hit?
This job would be sooo much easier if wasn't for all the users and their problems!

#11 dragonfly_dreams_26

dragonfly_dreams_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:37 PM

Thank you all for your comments, but this is actually a different computer than the one which was hit by Malware.

As for the BIOS, I did set it to Default (F9) and Save (F10).

Upon replacing the battery and plugging the computer back in, it turns itself on immediately and displays the Hardware properties and Drive Listing, followed by this message:

CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad
CMOS Date/Time Not Set
Multiple BIOS POST attempts have failed
Memory timings have been reset to automatic settings

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Rachelle

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:36 AM

OK.

When the CMOS battery is replaced...the user must reset the date/time in the BIOS...then save the settings by hitting F10.

If this is not done, the system will not function properly because files will reflect incorrect dates/times. This is a crucial item which was not reflected in the link I previously provided.

Louis

#13 dragonfly_dreams_26

dragonfly_dreams_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:46 AM

Hi Hamluis,

I have reset the date and time and saved the settings. The computer is acting exactly the same. What next?

Thanks,
Rachelle

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:36 AM

This is beyond my ability to guess...CMOS checksum errors are typically battery issues.

If battery replacement doesn't solve it, I would have to look at hardware issues.

I'll move this to our Internal Hardware forum, where those with more experience can comment.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 July 2010 - 10:37 AM.

#15 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:20 AM

Rachelle...
are you have/try updating BIOS before??
and do you have experience in disconnecting all the cable and cards in your computer...
if yes...i will give some instruction to do...
if no...would you try it??? if yes I or someone else will assist you...if not I think its the right time to bring your computer repair shop...but make sure that shop have experience in BIOS problem....

before you begin to decide what step you want...please remember one thing....you proced with you own risk...

and cant you give a info about your motherboards or BIOS version...and vga that you use...

almost forgot...
are you by any circumstance removing any jumper in you mainboards??? sounds silly but sometimes this just because someone removing the jumper...

Edited by abauw, 21 July 2010 - 11:37 AM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users