Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension E510 Help W/ XP Media center 2005

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 mdx_957

mdx_957

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:10 AM

I had a friend ask me to put XP MC 2005 back on his computer after a hdd crash. I have all the drivers in it that made it to as up to date as possible, and it seems to not want to acquire the IP address. Is there somehting that i can do. I have tried a Trendnet Addin PCI NIC and it still doesnt want to acquire the IP address. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:07 AM

What kind of disk was used to reinstall Windows?
Do you have any errors in Device Manager?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 mdx_957

mdx_957
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

I had to reinstall Windows. The guy didn't have the Dell restore CDs so I had to get them off the intreweb. It was very hard to find.
Since I reinstalled Windows, there are alot of errors but I am installing all the drivers now.

#4 mdx_957

mdx_957
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:20 AM

Also when I try to take Professional and turn it into Media Center, it says that the .Net Framework 1.1 and 1.1 SP1 are missing. I tried to install them, but then it says that the Windows Installer is missing!!!

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:22 AM

The guy didn't have the Dell restore CDs so I had to get them off the intreweb

What is intreweb?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 mdx_957

mdx_957
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:23 AM

Internet Sorry

Edited by mdx_957, 16 July 2010 - 10:23 AM.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:28 AM

That would be illegal.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/boardrules.php

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Please, obtain legal copy of Windows.
You can call Dell and they may provide recovery CD for shipping costs.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 mdx_957

mdx_957
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:30 AM

I have the key it is legit I just needed the disc real quick. I didnt want to have to wait for them to send it out to me. The key is on the computer case.
The person that this is wants it back by next week.

Edited by mdx_957, 16 July 2010 - 10:36 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

<<The guy didn't have the Dell restore CDs so I had to get them off the intreweb. It was very hard to find. Since I reinstalled Windows, there are alot of errors but I am installing all the drivers now.>>

FWIW: Downloading/using illegal versions of Windows...carries a heavy risk of malware being part of the "free" package, IMO.

<<Since I reinstalled Windows, there are alot of errors...>>

I'm not surprised.

<<I have the key it is legit I just needed the disc real quick.>>

That key is for a legally installed version of Windows MCE, perhaps you ought to review the terms of use.

I believe illegal copies of Windows are designed to circumvent the need for a valid license, so it's immaterial that you have a valid license for the use of XP on that system. An illegal copy never requires input of valid license data, otherwise there would be no point in claiming that the "offering" is free. That being the case, you have a valid license for a valid install of XP...which has been superseded by your invalid install of illegal XP, IMO.

This thread is now closed, based on forum rules previously provided you.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users