Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extra SATA drives

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:45 AM

Hi,
I'm running XP Pro SP3 and my mother board is a Gigabyte 81875 which is quite old. I have a spare PCI slot and was thinking of getting a SATA controller card so that I can eventually upgrade my DVD Rom drives and HDD's to Sata. The motherboard has only 2 SATA ports which I've already got used.

Do you think this is a viable upgrade or do you think I should bite the bullet and replace the motherboard, which I don't really want to do. Is there any problems which may arise as I don't want to fork out for a PCI card only to find out that there are problems or in fact may not work.

Regards,

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:03 AM

It may be viable but I personally wouldn't consider it an upgrade. I'm not sure why you would want to switch to SATA DVD drives if you already have working drives. You say your mobo has 2 SATA ports, what is attached to those ports now? If you need more disk space a larger drive probably wouldn't cost much more than the PCI SATA controller card.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:10 AM

Hi Strolln,
I have my Main HDD and a Blu-ray DVD Rom on the SATA ports. I also have an HDD & DVD Rom on IDE but I do a lot of Photography and film work so need another HDD and possibly DVD Rom drive, hence I thought I would if possible get the faster SATA versions.

Regards,

Dave

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:44 AM

The ICH5R on the board supports SATA hard drives and optical drives. Many of the add in SATA cards have spotty optical drive support. All of them run hard drives fine, but when it comes to running an optical drive from add in cards, cross your fingers. Some support optical drives fine, I just don't know what to reccomend.

If you want to run your hard drives from the SATA card and your opticals from the onboard, that would likely work OK.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for the reply dpunisher,
Would I have to configure the new SATA controller in the BIOS or is the controller self configuring,

Regards,

Dave

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:40 AM

You will have a separate BIOS screen come up for the controller card after the normal BIOS/boot screen. You will have to configure your motherboard BIOS to boot from your controller card. From there you can setup what you need to setup. (RAID/non RAID etc ACHI/IDE emulation etc). This is where we get into the "Press F6 to load 3rd party drivers" when you install Windows again.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users