Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade advice please

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zakisbak

zakisbak

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:32 AM

I have athlon xp 2.8,xp pro sp3,512mb ram,fx 5900 gpu.
I plan to upgrade memory,gpu and psu.
My questions -

1 - I have PC2700 memory.Can I replace with PC3200 memory?Crucial scan says I can.Will it be better than PC2700 memory?(I plan 2 gb ram)

2 - I want this gpu - http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/782781/art...512-mb-gdd.html - I have agp,but someone said it needs to be compatible with my processor or motherboard.Surely,as long as the size is ok,and agp compatible,the card will be okay?

3 - I think my psu is 300 watts,and I need 450 watts for the new card.What signs of compatibility do I need to look for in a new psu?Is it the physical size,screw hole positions,connectors?,or is there something else I need to consider?

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

I feel guilty for even suggesting you sink money into a rig of this vintage..............but:

1) SImply changing your memory from PC2700 to PC3200 won't improve the situation, however, upgrading to at least 1 gig total will certainly help. You can go to 2 gigs, but with XP, it might not make much of a difference, and you will be at a dead end. That memory can't be carried forward to a new build/system.

2) A worthy upgrade. The only compatability question is whether your motherboard AGP slot is 1.5V or 3.3V. That slot in the videocard determines that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port
http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/agpcompatibility.html

Easiest way is to pull out your current videocard, see if those slots are the same, look at the AGP slot on the motherboard and see if it has any dividers that get in the way of your new card.

3) I don't know who told you you need a 450 watt PSU for this. That card is within about 10-20 watts at load of your current videocard. I wouldn't even worry about a new PSU at this point unless I had problems. I doubt that whole rig pulls 180 watts maxxed out.

Edited by dpunisher, 16 July 2010 - 11:29 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users