Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Startup issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 McSlurry

McSlurry

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:05 AM

Hey guys @ bleeping computer - i have had a look into this a bit and havnt found anything, hopefully u can help me out,

Quick Rundown: Computer acts as though starting up, win7 'starting windows' with graphic shows up and the graphic stays active - though it never actually loads to the logon screen. I have tried to boot up in Safe mode, though it doesn't allow me - just stalls like it does on normal bootup

not too sure what to do, but an idea of the things i did most recently (before restart) was downloading a few torrents (though i always check the comments and rating to make sure they are decent) i had left my comp on overnight to download these torrents. The day before i did get one of those spam 'windows will check ur system for viruses' where a fake tab opens up in your web browser mimicking windows explorer.. but i closed that.

Basically not too sure why this is happening.
I have made sure all hardware is firmly in place.

My comps specs are very good (new comp, built myself)

also im in training to be an IT guy, so you dont need to dumb the reply down too much

thanks fellas - ant

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 McSlurry

McSlurry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:22 AM

- Passed Memtest
- Weirdly i waited while it was on loading files for safe mode, then i opened cd drive and it logged me in (though for some reason i wanted to update malwarebytes etc. so i thought ejecting cd drive on normal startup would work... it didnt - now im still out (silly i know)
- All the hardware is 6 months old & good stuff ... Some Specs
> Win7 64-bit
> Core i7
> 4GB ram (3x2gb) ddr2
> Radeon 5870
> 1TB Western Digital HDD
> Gigabyte

I may give restoring to a few days ago a bell.. but i'd pref not doing that...
any ideas, links, thoughts would be appreciated

#3 McSlurry

McSlurry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:52 AM

fml, restored to 2 days ago, didnt work (i know comp was starting up fine then... ill wait a couple days for a response, then consider taking it into my work for them to fix - but im not in there for about 2-3 weeks :S

(and no there aren't any random USB's or Disks in there - just basic stuff atm)

so any ideas here would be great... ill stop spamming posts

#4 McSlurry

McSlurry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:36 PM

Yeww got back into safemode - did
- 3 virus & malware scans (no return results)
- Disk Defragment
- Disk Cleanup

Then was able to log into my restored pc of 2 days ago... not really an ideal response... but i think that it worked out alright

going to run a few more tests and then i think restart a few times, to confirm its all good

Any other tests / things i should run to make sure its all good before i restart again?

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:52 PM

not too sure what to do, but an idea of the things i did most recently (before restart) was downloading a few torrents (though i always check the comments and rating to make sure they are decent) i had left my comp on overnight to download these torrents. The day before i did get one of those spam 'windows will check ur system for viruses' where a fake tab opens up in your web browser mimicking windows explorer.. but i closed that.

My guess would be the download of copyright content using Torrents. I can't/won't give any help for obtaining illegal downloads.

You're asking for rootkits, Trojans,viruses and any other form of malware!

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 McSlurry

McSlurry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:08 AM

okay, fair enough - can u please close this post.. thanks

#7 Deadone

Deadone

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:34 AM

Makes me want to ask this guy if he has zonealarm... I was having problems before with the "Welcome" screen getting stuck like a min or so... then getting a blank screen with the mouse pointer... then another long pause for like 1-2 min.. then after all that I would get to the desktop.

Thing is... when I uninstall zonealarm it would start up normally at around 20 seconds, but with ZA in it... it would slow it down again.. tried this multiple times with it in.. and after taking it out... with same results.

Heard others with similar problem and some of them were saying that it had to do with their computer being connected to the network or not.

When it was connected, it started as normal, but when it was disconnected, it took along time to start up.

*shrug* just wanted to ask him if he had ZA installed or not, to see if he was having a related problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users