Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Friend's computer has some sort of rootkit I believe

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 FFCBairn

FFCBairn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:06 AM

The computer in question is constantly being used to access all sorts of sites on the internet for grabbing images to print at her store. Computer has a few symptoms, google sometimes but not always redirects to random ad sites, making certain queries in google will sometimes cause IE and FF to close in a manor as if you actually closed it, no crash message or anything, lastly MBAM, TDSSKiller, and her Symantec do not detect anything.

IMO I just want to burn her data files, wipe the hdd, and reinstall but she is against this because the software that she uses for her vinyl cutter is on it and that is necessary to her store. I messed with it for an hour and a half and the above is the result of that, basically no idea what it is. She had to close at that point so I told her I'd think it over tonight and get in touch with her tomorrow after I get off.

So, where would be a good point to start. I can go back over there tomorrow after work and will have 3 or so hours to work on it, then I will have both days on the weekend.

Edited by Budapest, 16 July 2010 - 12:38 AM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users