Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Problem With Scanner

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KISNA

KISNA

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 20 October 2005 - 02:05 PM

I have canon canosan Lide 30. It used to work just fine. Didn't use it for a while and today I am trying to scan something and I can't do it. It says this

ScanGear CS

X

Cannot communicate with scanner
Cable may be disconnected
Check status
Scanner driver will be closed

I uninstalled and reinstalled the software, made sure cables were connected. When I connected scanner again after re-installing software I expected to see "found new hardware"message but it didn't show. I opned the scanner program and I could hear the churping in the scanner but I got the above message again.

what should I do ?

I have 98SE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 20 October 2005 - 02:24 PM

Have you gone into the device manger and remove the item(if it is still listed)? When you reinstalled did you remove the programs by uninstalling them?

Oh yeah.. nice to see you again.

Edited by acklan, 20 October 2005 - 02:24 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:32 PM

Nice to chat with you too.

No. what I did was uninstall using add/remove programs in control panel then re-installed it.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:58 PM

No. what I did was uninstall using add/remove programs in control panel then re-installed it.

That's good. Now go into the device manager . Right click on the scanner if it is listed and remove it from the list. Restart you computer and see if windows reconizes it.

#5 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 12:07 AM

That's good. Now go into the device manager . Right click on the scanner if it is listed and remove it from the list. Restart you computer and see if windows reconizes it.

OK I did that trick and this time it said found new hardware but it couldn't find the driver, not even on the CD that came with the scanner. So I went to canon website, found the software and driver update for my scanner, downloaded it and retsarted the windows. device manager shows the driver but when I try to use the scaner, I get this message

There is a TWAIN error. May be device is not connected.

So what does that mean ? Man this is so frustrating. I can't even find the manual now.

#6 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:54 PM

acklan

I have it fixed now. After 3 uninstallations and reinstallations, problem is fixed now. I believe I was leaving some components in when uninstalling. Finally I uninstalled from start--> Programs --> canon. Additionally I let installation CD uninstall first then reinstall the software and drivers. Worked like charm after that.

Thanks for all your time and efforts. :thumbsup:

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:14 PM

I'm sorry I was not of anymore help than I was. I gave up on USB. I bought a used HP 4 SCSI scanner and an Adaptec 2940 controller, also used. I find SCSI very stable and used commercial equipment is cheap. That's me in a nut shell. Once again sorry. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users