Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Os X's Terminal... How I Use?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sanasanacolitaderana

sanasanacolitaderana

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 20 October 2005 - 02:00 PM

Please guys I'm sick and tired to see hidden items everywhere!!! I'm looking for help.

I'm not a developer, I'm a simple mac user!!! I don't know how works 'terminal'. every article about it in web is too hard to understand...

can you show me how hide 'hidden items' without a high level lenguage?????

Thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Auritribe

Auritribe

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 10:50 AM

Please guys I'm sick and tired to see hidden items everywhere!!! I'm looking for help.

I'm not a developer, I'm a simple mac user!!! I don't know how works 'terminal'. every article about it in web is too hard to understand...

can you show me how hide 'hidden items' without a high level lenguage?????

Thanx

Any time you want to hide a file in the terminal, you can simply add a . to the beginning of the name.

Any file named .file or .hiddenfile etc, will be hidden to the finder and most queries.

So, simply put, find the file you need, type "mv filename .filename" and you will have it hidden. Hope this helps.

the command to see hidden items in the terminal is ls -a
this will show you a file listing with all the hidden items.

A short list of the important commands for you:

mv : moves files, renames them as well
cd : change directory, open folder etc.
cd .. : go back a directory
ls : list files, same as dir in windows.
ls -a : lists all files, hidden included.
open : opens files in corresponding mac os x application, if used on a folder, opens it in finder.
rm : deletes files
rm -rf *: deletes files with extreme prejudice, dangerous in the wrong directories.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users