Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FireFoxers stay secure with HTTPS Everywhere

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:57 PM

The Electronic Frontier Foundation has released a new Firefox addon called HTTPS Everywhere that forces Firefox to encrypt your communications via SSL (https://) when communicating with certain sites. This will allow you to transmit data to any of these sites securely and privately.HTTPS Everwhere was originally created to communicate with Google's new encrypted search option, but was further enhanced to force Firefox to use other sites https:// connection. These sites are:
  • Google Search
  • Wikipedia
  • Twitter and Identi.ca
  • Facebook
  • EFF and Tor
  • Ixquick, DuckDuckGo, Scroogle and other small search engines
So for those Firefox users who want a secure and private connection, check out HTTPS Everywhere. Has been working great for me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ozhawk

ozhawk

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

Hi. I hate to be just totally dense here, but I clicked on and saved this add on (?) to my desktop. I am unsure what to do with it at this point. Could you possibly elighten me as to what to do with this? (I also checked the add ons in FireFox, but did not find any mention of this).

Signed
Totally Lost.....as usual

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:34 PM

It should be listed in your Add-ons list, under the Extensions tab:

Posted Image

Do you get any type of error message?
Have you tried it again?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:37 AM

When you click on the add-on the XPI file link, Firefox does not ask you to save the file. Firefox asks you if you want to install this add-on.

Here are more links about HTTPS everywhere :
Force Firefox to use HTTPS
YouTube video for HTTPS Everywhere by TEKHD

#5 boethe

boethe

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:15 AM

Totally annoyed my wife by installing this on her laptop; it seems chat is disabled in Facebook when you use a HTTPS connection. The good thing is that HTTPS Everywhere has options control and you can select which applications it secures; deselecting Facebook from the list reestablished her ability to chat in Facebook.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:15 PM

Totally annoyed my wife .....

Isn't that what husbands are for? :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

It appears as though it is still in Beta mode.

Today EFF and the Tor Project are launching a public beta . . .

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/06/encry...refox-extension

~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 18 July 2010 - 06:06 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:58 PM

The article was written a month ago; June 17th, 2010.
Can't find a current status on it, anywhere.
I've been using it for 4 weeks now, and haven't experienced any problems.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:39 PM

I hate to say, but I installed it this morning and it slowed down my browsing speed a lot.
Some pages wouldn't load at all.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:19 AM

Id like to add that Google is already using HTTPS as seen via here: https://www.google.com/ It prevents sites from gathering information on where you came from and who referred you their site.

Whats the CPU overhead for running this add on?

What Certificates does this Add/On use? Should the Certs be trusted?

Edited by cryptodan, 19 July 2010 - 05:21 AM.

#11 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

It prevents sites from gathering information on where you came from and who referred you their site.

No. You connect to a web site through many middle computers. Any of these computers can see the data being transferred. When you use HTTPS the data is encrypted and only you and Google can see the actual data. It prevents any middle person to eavesdrop the data being transferred between you and the Google site.

To find out how many middle servers you have to go through to connect to a web site (e.g. google), type tracert www.google.com in the command prompt.

CPU overhead? I think there is no extra CPU overhead.

Certificates? This add-on just redirects you to the HTTPS version of the target site (if available). For example, if you type http://www.google.com, it will redirect you to https://www.google.com. The certificates used by the target web sites are checked by the browser itself. The add-on does not use any certificates.

Edited by Romeo29, 19 July 2010 - 10:17 AM.

#12 chrissy1973

chrissy1973

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

Totally annoyed my wife by installing this on her laptop; it seems chat is disabled in Facebook when you use a HTTPS connection. The good thing is that HTTPS Everywhere has options control and you can select which applications it secures; deselecting Facebook from the list reestablished her ability to chat in Facebook.

Alternatively, you can let it secure Facebook and install Digsby, which is a chat client that you can use for Facebook, yahoo, aim, etc. I've used it since it first came out and it's a great program.
Chrissy1973

#13 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:28 AM

...BleepingComputer to get a TSL/SSL login page..? :thumbsup:

Edited by Casey_boy, 23 July 2010 - 07:30 AM.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#14 ectech1

ectech1

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

Doesn't IPv6 do something like this?

#15 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,463 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:39 AM

Np IPV6 does not help with security at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users