Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new install of my OS, usb thumbdrive isn't recognized

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zapkoolaid42

zapkoolaid42

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

Hey everyone. So my computer crapped out on me the other day and I ended up having to reformat and reinstall everything. I've installed all the drivers and every windows update applicable to my OS (Win 7 64-bit), but I'm having a problem. A few problems actually, but I'm following the "one problem one post" rule.

I have an 8GB PNY thumbdrive/flashdrive/whatever you wanna call it. It works in other computers; it worked in THIS computer before the reformat. But for some reason, it doesn't work now. It's plugged into a 4-port Belkin USB hub along with my external hard drive, cellphone charger, and wireless headphone charger, all of which work just fine. I also tried to plug it in directly into a spare usb port on the computer. When I plug it in, Windows makes the "da dum" noise indicating it recognizes a plug and play device has been plugged in, but it never brings up the "installing device driver" tooltip, nor does the flashdrive show up in My Computer.

It's just a normal flashdrive, it doesn't have any special software like the Cruzer U3s or anything that necessitates a special driver. It should work just like all other plug and play devices, imo. It DID work, on this same computer, and it still works on my other (Win XP) computer. I guess I'm missing something, but I have no idea what. Any ideas?

Thanks for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

What is the Computer specifications?

When you plug your device go into "Device Manager" and expand the "+" on usb devices. Then you can try to see if it recognizes the devices in that area.

#3 zapkoolaid42

zapkoolaid42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:04 PM

What is the Computer specifications?

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Dell Studio XPS M1340
Intel Core 2 Duo P7450 @ 2.13 GHz
3 GB DDR3 RAM
500GB internal hard drive, 1TB external
NVIDIA Geforce 9500M (GF 9400MG + GF 9200MGS) video card

Anything else you need to know, just ask.

When you plug your device go into "Device Manager" and expand the "+" on usb devices. Then you can try to see if it recognizes the devices in that area.

Yeah, it shows up in the device manager as "DISK 2.0", the same as on other computers, but it's not showing in My Computer.

A ha! I uninstalled it in the device manager and then scanned for hardware changes with it still plugged in and it's working now. Awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users