Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus M4N98TD and RAM problem

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mischievousape

mischievousape

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:48 PM

Hello :thumbsup:

Just installed the M4N98TD today in a new build. I bought some OCZ Platinum 1333 2x2GB sticks. When I put both of them in, I cannot get a POST. If I install one or the other in singular, I can POST.

I misread the QVL for recommended RAM for this board, and for the sake of 2 letters of the RAM product code, my RAM is not on the list of officially supported RAM.

Does anyone know of any way I can get this PC to post using both sticks? I would really prefer not to have to spend more money :D

RAM product code: OCZ3P13334GK

Well thanks guys :flowers:

Edited by mischievousape, 15 July 2010 - 04:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:27 PM

Are you running 64 or 32bit?

Could be a bad module have you tried both seperately/ or in another system?

Any other specs you could provide about the system would be helpful.
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#3 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

Hi Barajiqal thanks for replying :thumbsup:

I'm running Win7 64bit on this setup:
AM3 945 Phenom 2 X4
gts250
Thermaltake Toughpower 650w 8+1 Phase and SLI ready PSU.
1 x 500GB HD
1 x 22xDVDRW

Both sticks work if I only put one in and I've tried the first and second set of pairs of sockets. I've updated the BIOS to the most recent one.

I also manually changed the timings and voltage to factory specs 7-7-7-20 1.8V which the RAM will hold until I put the 2nd stick in, then I get no POST and have to remove the 2nd DIMM and re-enter the BIOS settings manually or it reverts to auto settings of 9-9-9-24 with V between 0.8-1.8V.

I double checked and this RAM is actually on the QVL as known to work with this mobo.

#4 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:03 PM

Hmmmmmm

Maybe run a memcheck just for curiosity sake

And on another lark maybe try one in one set of sockets and the other in the remaining set(sounds like you have 2 sets of 2?).
I'll do a little more research and see if I can't come up with something

After Poking around a bit more I've found that several people appear to have had this issue. All with approved RAM in most cases seems they had bad boards(could be the case here?) If you can maybe try both sticks in another similar rig see if they work there?

Edited by Barajiqal, 16 July 2010 - 03:13 PM.

"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#5 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

Thanks again Barajigal :thumbsup: Yeh, it's just the one pair of 2gb sticks I have. I've tried them in both sets of paired sockets, but no POST. When I install a single stick it's no problem at all.

I tested the each stick individually for 2 passes with the windows memory tester and no errors returned.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a DDR3 PC or have another rig I can try. I live rurally, and the only 2 computer small shop/repair places locally don't have DDR3 RAM for sale :D

I think the only thing to try is to call the place I bought the board from online and buy some RAM from them on the understanding that if that RAM won't work it goes back with the board for a refund and a replacement board. The support guy at that store emailed that it's probably a RAM compatibility issue :S

Edited by mischievousape, 16 July 2010 - 04:27 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

Just a note...be sure you are installing them in the proper sockets if running dual-channel.

The motherboard manual will list/indicate the proper combinations...sometimes it's not as logical as it might seem to be (IME).

As for timings...the motherboard clock (in the BIOS) should be set on Auto for such...which is probably why the timings change when both mods are installed.

Louis

#7 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:14 AM

Just a note...be sure you are installing them in the proper sockets if running dual-channel.

The motherboard manual will list/indicate the proper combinations...sometimes it's not as logical as it might seem to be (IME).

As for timings...the motherboard clock (in the BIOS) should be set on Auto for such...which is probably why the timings change when both mods are installed.

Louis

Hi Louis, and thanks for the advice :flowers:

The DIMM sockets on this board are cloured Blue/Black/Blue/Black and the manual says to match blue to blue and black to black. I did also tried Blue and Black as well but that didn't work either. I've had everything on Auto, and tried to manually configure to factory settings for the RAM. Neither work.

Since today as well, the POST time has increased to about 30 seconds wait time on the POST screen before booting. And if I try and load my Left4Dead 2 game, the screen goes black and I have to hard power off.

I'm failry certain the board is gubbed so I'm gonna call the store tomorrow to talk about replace or refund before this makes me :thumbsup:

I'm going to try another PSU today as well to see that makes any difference.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:05 AM

Have you run the onboard memory test from page 38 of the manual?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

Have you run the onboard memory test from page 38 of the manual?

Hi Chewy :thumbsup: You mean the MemOK! thing? It lights a solid red to show there is a RAM issue when powered up. If I press the MemOK button, it cycles to try to autotune but then fails.

It also says in the manual that a single DIMM should work in any socket at all, but again, mine will only function in the A1 or B1 sockets.

#10 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

mischievousape in you first post.( my RAM is not on the list of officially supported RAM.) Have you checked with the Ram and motherboard manufactures? IMHO if it's not compatible it probably won't work correctly.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:52 PM

With one stick in the first blue slot, I would clear cmos, then load setup defaults after the Memok runs.

Then try the second stick in the other blue slot.

That memory calls for 1.7 Volts?? But 1.8 should work, especially with 2 sticks?

Command rate 1T can be iffy with all but the best setups.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#12 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

mischievousape in you first post.( my RAM is not on the list of officially supported RAM.) Have you checked with the Ram and motherboard manufactures? IMHO if it's not compatible it probably won't work correctly.

I double checked it and I was right when I bought it, the memory is definitely on the list. When I started having problems I went back to check the list and then thought I had bought the wrong RAM because I didn't see it and I thought I made a mistake. But it is for sure on the QVL as tested and known to work with this board.

Attached Files

• Attached File  ram.PNG   3.04KB   10 downloads

#13 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:13 PM

With one stick in the first blue slot, I would clear cmos, then load setup defaults after the Memok runs.

Then try the second stick in the other blue slot.

That memory calls for 1.7 Volts?? But 1.8 should work, especially with 2 sticks?

Command rate 1T can be iffy with all but the best setups.

Tried just now Chewy. Still no POST with 2nd DIMM. I repeated this with the first stick in the first black channel too, same result.

I then cleared CMOS and manually set to 7-7-7-20 with 1.8 and changed Comm rate to 2. Still nothing.

I think there is nothing else I can do without different RAM or a different motherboard. grrr...

I'll post back when I get some new hardware to try, thanks for helping everyone :thumbsup:

#14 mischievousape

mischievousape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:01 PM

Mobo returned today...RAM working now :thumbsup:

#15 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:16 AM

Sorry for taking so long to get back mischievousape. I'm glad you got it fixed. Many thanks for posting back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users