Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to recover Unknown Healthy Partition

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eta Argus

Eta Argus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:31 PM

Hi all,

I had a virus so I reformatted the partition that had my OS (XP Home). I left the other partitions intact, but I realized after I reformatted that 2 of them were logical (1 xp, 1 ubuntu). I reformatted with XP Pro and now I canít access the xp partition and the option to boot into ubuntu is gone. I just read that XP pro and home formats arenít compatible (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=99028&hl=dskprobe), but I donít think thatís my problem (yet) since I donít have the ďForeign StatusĒ in disk management.

Iím guessing I screwed up by overwriting the MBR on that first logical drive? Disk management shows ďUnknown Healthy PartitionĒ for the 2 partitions in question. Iíve heard about dskprobe.exe, but canít find any resources on how to use itÖ I have read that you can really screw things up though. Anyone know of any guides or other software I could use to access those partitions?

TIA!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

How about...a screen shot from Disk Management...so that we can literally see what you have?

Sometimes...a picture is actually worth a thousand words, IMO :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 Eta Argus

Eta Argus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:58 PM

Good point, here 'tis...

Attached Files

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:44 PM

OK...to my untrained eyes, it appears that

a. SATA drive is Disk0, reflects Disk2, Vol 1 and Disk2, Vol2 partitions. May not be SATA, but SATA drives displace PATA drives in Disk Management, so I am guessing. Vol2 is a logical partition.

b. Disk1 is 1TB drive. System partition...followed by 2 unknown logical partitions...followed by New Volume circa 300GB...followed by 550GB unallocated space.

It's worth saying here...you are not supposed to be able to even delete a primary partition which has logical partitions/drives attached...unless you first eliminate those extended partitions. So...right away, I'm lost as to how you accomplished that. The fact that you have done something which I believed not possible...probably accounts for your current install classifying them as "unknown."

I don't know anything about Ubuntu, so I have no clue how to access that. Logic tells me that a reinstall of Ubuntu would solve that, but I cannot be sure.

I also suspect that your efforts deleted whatever bootloaders were in use at the time, which further confuses XP.

FWIW: XP Home and XP Pro are different versions of the O/S. A license applicable to one...does not transfer, is not transferable to the other. They are compatible, which means that...if properly installed, each can communicate with the other with no problems. Not sure what you may have read, but compatibility is not an issue between different versions of Windows XP.

FWIW: There is no reason to use logical partitions on a hard drive, unless you plan to create more than four partitions. Any hard drive can easily accommodate four primary partitions. The advantage of primary partitions is...independence....what happens on one has no effect on the others.

I have no clue what to suggest. If this were my system, I would just start over and do it right...primary partitions, Windows, Ubuntu.

You could try a repair install on the XP partition, although I don't think that will work, since Windows cannot recognize the partition as having a Windows install.

FWIW: That looks like an illegal version of XP that used on your system.

Google Hits

Based on that, there's nothing that we can do to help you.

Discussion Forum Rules - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/boardrules.php

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

If you want to contact someone about such...please feel free to send a PM to any Moderator or above on the BC staff.

This thread is now closed.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2010 - 05:45 PM.
Admin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users