Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Not Connected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ash98

Ash98

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:12 PM

I have gOS gadgets (ubuntu) and in the top right corner the network icon has a red x. Enable networking is ticked and edit wireless networks doesn't help. I've been in all the network tool windows and none of them search for a wireless network or tell me to type an SSID etc. I have a gadget that says Wireless OFF (not connected). I have the acer aspire one a110 which has an atheros wireless card. Everyone says i need to install madwifi, but you need internet to download all the stuff you need for it (apt-get) so i cant install it.

Help would be appreciated :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Michael Matirko

Michael Matirko

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

Do you have an Ethernet cable? If you've got one, you can plug your computer directly into the modem (or router).

Also, this might come in handy if you do decide to download a copy of madwifi: http://www.stchman.com/ath_drv.html

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to reduce forum post clutter. ~ Animal

#3 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

I believe what you need is the drivers for that

go here: http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/noteb...as_one_110.html

go in there with another computer or connect your computer with the ethernet port to a modem or router.
If you installed Ubuntu on this you will need to install the original drivers of that Athero's card into that Ubunto O.S.

Then download the right drivers
If you are saving it on another computer save it in a external device such as a flash drive

let me know how it went

Edited by JUICYboy, 15 July 2010 - 05:29 PM.

#4 pcgeekguru

pcgeekguru

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:38 AM

you should install pclinux 2010. it supports atheros wireless devices. that way you dont have to go through the inconvenience of looking for drivers.

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:20 AM

I have an Acer Aspire One AOD250. I had a miserable time trying to get the wireless to work ... and then, one day, it just did. I have no idea how or why, but it might have been after an update.

BTW, I tried Madwifi without luck. I used a wired connection to the router to download the packages and get updates.

Sorry I can't tell you exactly what happened, but one day it started working, and it's been working ever since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users