Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG Firewall blocked services/protocols

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Realm_Shifter

Realm_Shifter

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:32 PM

Hello,

I have the paid version of AVG 9. My computer is 64 bit, running Windows 7. I mostly use FireFox as my browser, but also I.E. for work from home.

Today I found that by going to Tools you can see the Firewall settings in AVG. Why this is not available within the Firewall component is beyond me.

In a nutshell, the following "System services and protocols" are blocked by default and I want to know if they NEED to be.
  • Internet Information Services
  • PPTP VPN
  • DNS Server
  • AH Protocol
  • ESP Protocol
  • GRE Protocol
  • Windows Remote Management
  • BranchCache/Windows Remote Managment (Compatability Mode)
  • Novell Netware
Really funny thing is (that's sarcasm) I was trying to set up a HOME network recently and had no clue all of this was blocked.

I wrote AVG, prior to coming here, to ask why each are blocked...just to see what they say.

I want to eventually set up the network between my wired LAN desktop (7) and my wireless laptop (vista). So I am thinking I need to allow some/all/who knows of these??

Now in researching this I am seeing all sorts of criticism toward AVG. Luckily I only have 3 more months before my license expires.

I also got a "false positive" virus pop-up yesterday. That was fun!

Lately I've also been having a lot of issues with FireFox. One day it was fine (after the 3.6.6 update that is) and now I can't change themes. This might not be related?!

I am very frustrated. When you PAY for a program, you shouldn't have to do this kind of investigative work to use it. I'm sure some of it is my own lack of brain cells, but I have been using computers for 19 years.

One more thing, haven't been able to connect to services like Trillian. Could that have to do with these settings?

Thanks in advance.

unhappy gal...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

Hello and welcome to the BleepingComputer :thumbsup:

The list of services you have posted consists of servers and VPN protocols of different type - that open ports for outside access. These should be blocked unless you are specifically wanting to run the related service.

If you have paid for AVG, then you should stick to it. Personally, I prefer avast! which is light on resources and very fast and free antivirus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users