Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Vostro 1500 Laptop Overheating?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BalladCarver

BalladCarver

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

Hello,

I have a Dell Vostro 1500 Laptop:
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5270 @ 1.40GHz
1.99Gb of Ram
Running on Windows XP Home Edition

The problem is that the laptop tends to get very hot, which I know laptops are bound to due, but i wanted to make sure I'm not
getting into the danger zone.
Also, I thought it may be related that sometimes my computer will make a beeping noise, sometimes just once, sometimes every few minutes.
I read somewhere that the beeping may be because my laptopis overheating.

I've left the laptop in some stupid places I know now that I shouldn't have, like left it on a pillow or had it on my legs at times,
and I thought perhaps the fan or heatsink may be clogged up from that.

I downloaded Speedfan to see what my temperature was. When I got the reading, it had just finished downloading the program and was quite hot.
Speedfan gave me these temperatures:
HD0: 38C
Temp1: About 39C
Core0: Hoverong around 52C
Core1: Also hovering around 50-52C

So I tried blowing some compressed air through the fan vent as I am unable to get directly to the fan without taking the whole keyboard and screen apart/off. Then I bought a Logitech Cooling Pad N100 (it was the only one my local BestBuy had that would fit my laptop. Other than that brand, the store had a smaller black belkin, not sure if that brand would work any better).

With the system idle my temperatures are:
HD0: 36C
Temp1: 29C
Core0: 34C
Core1: 34C

When I was online with multiple tabs open, tried loading a video, and such
the HD and Temp stayed around the 30-39C marks but my Cores would go anywhere from 49-55C, even 60C at a few points.

I use this computing mostly for school papers, surfing the web, amd recording music.
For the music aspect I run a Line6 UX1 Toneport (which has a built in soundcard I believe) thru USB port
and into Cakewalk Music Creator.

When running my recording software/hardware setup and playing recordings, you know just actually recording and whatnot,
the cores get up near 60C

Some spec-sheet I saw online showed the max CPU/processor temperature as 95F, which I thought was incorrect or a typo.

Lastly, I may just not have been pushing my CPU very far the last few days but my fan doesn't seem to be kicking on,
or if it is on I can barely tell any air is coming out of the side/exhaust vents.
(And as a note, before I looked into the problem I do remember my fan would kick a LOT of hot air out.)

So I am wondering if:
1) my fan or heatsink may have a problem
2) these temperatures are okay/common for the type of laptop and processor I have
3) these are dangerous temperatures how I can cool it off or fix it

Any help/experience would be appreciated

Thank you for your time and help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

The first thing you should try is getting a can of compressed air and blowing out any air vent holes, you may have dust build up inside the laptop.

You may have to go as far as opening up the laptop to get better access to the cooling fan and its cooling ducts/channels to clean those out as well, or at least inspect those for dust accumulation and blockage that is preventing the proper cooling of your processor and other related hardware.

You should also insect the heat sink on the processor for dust build up.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Sketch71

Sketch71

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:45 PM

Another way you can help cool it is to prop a box fan on its side and p-lace something to give it some clearance between the fan and the floor and put the laptop on top if it then cranch the box fan to hi and see if the computer over heats. Its a little elaborate but it gets the job done.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey look, buddy, I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like 'what is beauty?', because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users