Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Optiplex GX 260, boots, operates, but no display

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:12 AM

I have a computer that users are saying isn't displaying - the monitor just blinks as if the computer were in hibernate mode.

I can remote into the computer via VNC. I have reinstalled the video drivers and that did not get any new results. The power light is on and solid green, as well as all 4 indicator lights showing on the back of the machine, under the onboard video cable. The system seems to be operating.

What should I look at or test next? I fail at critical thinking so bad... >_<

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

I have a computer that users are saying isn't displaying - the monitor just blinks as if the computer were in hibernate mode.

I can remote into the computer via VNC. I have reinstalled the video drivers and that did not get any new results. The power light is on and solid green, as well as all 4 indicator lights showing on the back of the machine, under the onboard video cable. The system seems to be operating.

What should I look at or test next? I fail at critical thinking so bad... >_<

Based on your description above, it appears that you are remotely accessing the computer through the Internet to do a repair on it.

Are you able to see the video display from your end, where as the owners of the computer can not see anything on their screen?

Here's a link to service manuals and owners manuals to this computer, that may be helpful.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...60/en/index.htm

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:04 AM

That's correct. They said nothing was on the screen and that the computer wouldn't boot.

When they confirmed that the status lights were green (the 4 on the back, and the power button), I remoted in, using VNC software, and have confirmed the computer is functional, and can do everything it did yesterday.

Except display video on the monitor for users actually sitting at the keyboard.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:13 AM

Can the users check the monitors connection to the video card port to be sure it is tight and no damage was done some how to the video card port, by possible stress?

I have seen circumstances where the video cable from the monitor was pulled on or stressed and it broke the ports mount and thus created a broken circuit on the video card its self.

I have also seen scenarios where the plug on the monitors video cable was not screwed in properly and the plug came loose from the video cards port.

Both screws have to be screwed in and tight.

Make sure the video cable is not loose on the back of the monitor.

Make sure the power wire on back of monitor is fully plugged into the 3 prong AC power plug socket.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 rayj0054

rayj0054

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

also check the resolution setting and make sure the monitor is capable they could have been changed and make sure the monitor is not faulty

#6 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

I had one of the users examine it.

They found nothing wrong with the cables, nor with the connectors on the monitor and tower. She also reports that the monitor is "chirping" while the power light flashes.

Edited by DnDer, 15 July 2010 - 12:54 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

I suggest trying another monitor to confirm that the computer and its components are functioning as they should be.

There may be a hardware failure related to the monitor, at least this will confirm whether this is true or not.

Bruce.

#8 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

I just came back from lunch. They told me they attempted to re-seat the VGA cable again, and now the monitor works. I'm waiting to hear back if it's still chirping.

Research tells me that problems with monitors not working and chirping involve something called a flyback and a HOT. It has something to do with components getting shut off when they get too hot to function. I haven't been able to find anything more in-depth than that yet - most of what I've found were other forums explaining the problem and that it pretty much bricks the monitor. Is this something we should be preparing for (ie, getting a new monitor out to the site?), or just a one-of?

They're curious why re-seating the cable originally would not have fixed the problem. I can't say I have a rational explanation to offer them. I've seen "sometimes you just have to try it more than once" on several machines, and there was never a good explanation for why doing it again fixed a problem.

APPENDED: The user reports no more chirping coming from the monitor.

#9 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:04 PM

Monitor stopped working about 20 minutes after they reported it working. Definitely needs replacing.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

I confirm that replacing the monitor is the correct solution.

There could be a faulty relay circuit or other related hard ware problem, it is seriously not worth using a device that is malfunctioning like this, it could at the very least cause a fire.

Most of todays electronics are manufactured as disposable devices, repairs often require replacement of entire circuit boards, which basically sums up the price of a new monitor with a warranty included.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users