Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 random rebooting

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Robert P

Robert P

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

I have built a new PC with the following specs:

motherboard: Intel DH55tc
processor: Intel I3
Ram: 2GB corsair
PS: 400w
Video: onboard

I have been having this problem ever since building the PC a couple weeks ago. The system will randomly shutdown and reboot. The screen will simply go black and then boot up and tell me that it had a bad shutdown. I do not believe that it is heat related, yesterday I started it up and it restarted in about 15 minutes, but it usually takes a hour or more before a reboot.

I have disabled "smart step" and "c-state" in the bios
I have disabled RAC in the task scheduler in an effort to fix the issues, but no luck.

In the event viewer I get an:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2010-07-14T15:13:26.050413300Z

EventRecordID 7013

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer kathy-PC

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

Thanks for any help I can get.

Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

Make sure drivers are up to date and also check the ram to make sure each stick is okay.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Robert P

Robert P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

I am currently running the memtest with no errors so far. I have updated the bois as well. Here are my temps and voltages, I didn't notice any issues except for the MCH temp.

CPU core: 59.9
MCH : 13
PCH : 59
VR: 55
Memory: 46

+12v - 11.594
+5v - 4.961
+3.3v - 3.318
memory - 1.504
+Vccp - 1.173

Let me know if anything is out of whack. What is up with the MCH temp, it is below ambient temp, bad motherboard?

Thanks, Bob

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:44 PM

CPU core: 59.9

Idle?
If so, rather high.
What model of i3 is it?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Robert P

Robert P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:54 PM

i3 540.

Intel says up to 70c is ok for the i3, i5, and i7. I reinstalled the OS. Same thing within 15 minutes of completing the install. I didn't even complete the install of the updated intel drivers for lan, video, etc. I am thinking the mobo may be junk !?!? nothing else seems to fit. It even crashes in safe mode.

Bob

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:58 PM

I understand, 70C is OK, but there is something wrong with desktop CPU running idle at 60C.
Imagine playing some game and your CPU will melt.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:28 AM

Did you put together all the components yourself?

If so I would reassemble the PC, and make sure that there are no shorts in the case.

Can you take pictures of the inside of your case for us and post them.

Are you using a aftermarket cooler for you CPU?

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

PS: 400w <--- Is this enough wattage, guys? I have 750.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

PS: 400w <--- Is this enough wattage, guys? I have 750.

Its more then plenty for his setup.

#10 Robert P

Robert P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

I swapped out the motherboard with a new one, no luck. So I pulled one ram module, the pc rebooted almost immiadiately. I replaced that one with the other and it ran for a 2 hrs. before rebooting. I am not sure if it is relivent. I am stumped.

Bob

I will post a pic of the inside tomorrow.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

Please perform the following:

How to Test your RAM

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to check whether your system's RAM (Ramdom Access Memory) is working properly. Bad RAM can lead to a whole host of problems, often which do not appear to have a single cause -- appearing as systemwide glitches, blue screens, and other system trouble. MemTest86+ provides a very good detection mechanism for failed RAM, and is about as good a test you get short of actually replacing the module itself.

Tools Needed
Please perform these steps from a separate, working, machine.Perform these steps on the problem machine.
  • Put your CD in the drive and configure your machine to boot to the CD. This is different on all machines, but it's usually by pressing F12 or F10 as your system boots, and selecting either "CDROM" or your cdrom drive. If you are unable to force a CDRom boot, reply with the make and model of your machine and I should be able to get you exact instructions.
  • If you've done it correctly, MemTest86+ will start to run automaticly, as shown below:
    Posted Image
  • If you want to be reasonably your RAM is OK, then allow MemTest to run until you see this message:
    Posted Image

On the other hand, if you want to be completely sure your RAM is OK, allow MemTest to run overnight. Memtest will run forever until power is pulled on the machine.
  • Check the MemTest screen for any reported errors. Errors will appear as RED warnings at the bottom of the screen, similar to the following screenshot:
    Posted Image
  • Hard-Reset the machine, removing the MemTest disk in the process.
If you didn't get an error screen, Congratulations! :huh:

#12 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

A tidbit of info may be missing:

Have you overclocked this rig at all?

IF you did overclock, reset it to factory defaults and let us know if it keeps rebooting.

Edited by Eric ~ Computer Guy, 21 July 2010 - 10:48 AM.

#13 Robert P

Robert P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:41 AM

OK, no overclocking.

I rechecked the ram with memtest86. First 1 gb ram module no errors (3 passes). Second 1gb ram module no errors (3 passes). I then started the machine with the second ram modules and it rebooted before windows even loaded (tried 3 times). I then put in the first ram module only and the machine has been running clean for the last couple hours while running a stability test (stressing the system). I going with a bad ram module, even though I get no errors with memtest86.

A few other things:

The 12+ v is running at 11.65 to 11.75 - OK?

The core temp is idling at 30c and goes up to 60c when being stressed (much better than before the new mobo).

Thanks for the help, Bob

#14 exmo

exmo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

Looked at the Intel website there are several driver updates and bios updates. Normally I would say if everything is working correctly don't reflash the bios, but since you are having issues I would say upgrade to lastest system bios. link here Also I would verify that the memory you have is on this list. Intel Memory List That should help you rule out a few issues. There are driver updates as well. Does this board allow for a raid configuration and did you configure and set-up a raid configuration? Finally I had a similar issue recently where Windows 7 was rebooting while attempting to read a bluetooth driver (toshiba) I believe. May not be applicable but when reading the system logs look at the minutes leading up to the reboot for anything that looks out of the ordinary. Let me know if you have any other information you can add to the situation. And good luck.

Respectfully Submitted,
Exmo

#15 Robert P

Robert P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:52 PM

I did finally figure this thing out. After going throught 3 RMA processes with Corsair before I finally got two working pieces of ram. Yes, Bad RAM !!!!! What a nightmare. My opinion, I will not use Corsair Ram agian.

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users