Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello... need help with possible problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Deadone

Deadone

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:11 AM

Hello, need some help... was having some problems and ran HJT and found alot of "file missing"
running on a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit that was upgraded from a Windows XP Pro 32 bit.

Just really worried that I might have some type of virus or hijacker or something... had problems before and thought I fixed it when I reinstalled everything.

1) Flashed bios on mobo
2) low level format all hd's
3) new reinstall of OS Windows XP Pro 32bit
4) got new Windows 7 Pro Upgrade
5) installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
6) reinstalled all programs.

CPU Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz 3.17 GHz
Ram 4 gig (2x2) Corsair XMS
Nvidia GTS 250
Asus Xonar D2X sound card
OS Windows 7 Pro Upgrade 64 bit installed.

Edited by elise025, 16 July 2010 - 04:26 AM.
HJT log removed so topic can stay in this forum ~ Elise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:29 AM

HJT doesn't know how to process the O23 services on a x64 computer. Everything is fine and those services are fine too, not missing.

Your problems may be ZoneAlarm related. Disable it in "Services" and in start up (msconfig). Use Windows firewall and see if you still have problems.
If you don't, then uninstall ZoneAlarm.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Deadone

Deadone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

Sorry I'm a dork... I don't really know how to use windows 7 that well as I just got it and installed it.

Can you give me in detail how to go about doing that?

I can't seem to be able to find a way to "disable" it in "services" or start up "msconfig".

Not really having a lot of problems just the occasional CCode F7 crash that has been reported can be caused by zonealarm...

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 7f
BCP1: 0000000000000008
BCP2: 0000000080050031
BCP3: 00000000000006F8
BCP4: FFFFF8000288EC91
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Its just that I was having problems before and was worried that it was a virus or something that might have been carried over from the windows xp pro version that I had installed... even though I did a full wipe of everything.

Thank you for your time and help. Would still like to see how I can get into the "Services" thing to disable it and how to get into the msconfig thing. So much has changed from xp to 7 its taking me a while to get used to it and to find how to get into it... and/or even if it would work as it once did in xp.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:25 AM

I would verify that your ZoneAlarm is fully updated, and that you have the 64bit Version is installed to make sure that their are no compatibility issues.

#5 Deadone

Deadone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:17 AM

ARG it seems like ZoneAlarm is more headache then its worth. I have uninstalled it from my main computer as well as my netbook.

I uninstalled it from my main computer as I was getting BSOD'ed every once in a while and saw that no matter what I did it would not work correctly. I tried to stop it from running in the startup, but for some reason it would end up running anyway, So I just uninstalled the damn thing, however... now I have another problem.

It seems that for whatever reason there is a bit of something left in the computer, as I cannot get rid of it in the msconfig under the "startup" tab.

Windows 7 Pro "Upgrade" 64bit

Startup Item: "ISW"
Manufacturer: "Unknown"
Command: "C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\ZAForceField\forceField.exe" /icon="hidden"
Location: "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

The netbook thing is when I have ZA installed in the OS (windows XP Home) it takes over 2 min for the desktop screen to show with all the icons, however when I uninstall ZA it starts up normally in about 20 seconds.

I wrote on their support forums, however they just told me to disable the network device (as it starts up without a network connection.

The problem with disconnecting any network device, is that I disabled the wireless and the wired network device in "Device manager", however it did not work, and the computer still takes over 2 min to load up to the desktop screen with icons.

Is there any other firewall that was similar to zonealarm available? I just hate all the changes they made recently, but had used it for years and almost bought a retail version of it (now happy that I didn't), cause ZA seems to have lots of problems now.

Also why would they make it so that if you have no internet connection, it causes the computer start up to take forever? Why make it so that the user has to disable anything in order for ZA to startup after windows starts up and takes you to the desktop?

Sorry for the above rant... just annoyed cause I might have done a full wipe of all computers... with flashing of mobo... plus low level format of all drives for nothing... weeks of headaches because of ZA.

Cant verify if its 32bit or 64bit as I can no longer see that information, I think they removed it from their site, but I don't recall it stating that it was 32 or 64bit.

There are no compatibility issues that I am aware of.

Edited by Deadone, 19 July 2010 - 06:21 AM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:19 AM

Try this: http://www.revouninstaller.com/download-freeware-version.php Follow the prompts and dialogues very carefully.

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:07 PM

You could try the trial version of Outpost Fire wall http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Fire...ewall-Pro.shtml

If you like it well enough, then buy it at a lower price: http://www.agnitum.com/

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#8 Deadone

Deadone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:18 AM

OK... now I installed that revouninstaller program, but it didn't detect it... BUT I did find out where a part of the program is hiding... its in the internet explorer in the "manage Add-ons"... the problem however is that I cannot uninstall or delete it.

Name ZoneAlarm Security Engine Registrar
Publisher Control name is not available
Status Disabled
Load time (0.10 s)

Name ZoneAlarm Security Engine
Publisher Control name is not available
Status Disabled
Load time (0.23 s)

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members