Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't touch/open/play Mp4s .. get DEP and closes folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Scyance

Scyance

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:55 AM

I recently got a flip phone.. and it saves videos in MP4 format.. I save it to my computer fine.. but I can't play it.. right when I click it.. I get a data execution protection message.. and it closes my folder.. I want to be able to add the file to a video software to make movies.... but can't seem to even touch the thing. HA. :thumbsup: I have managed to delete the files, by being REAL quick about it. If I can't use them, why keep them on my computer? But I would like to try again.. and wondering if there is something I should check or do? to remedy my problem.. thanks.. any help is appreciated. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjcjpk

mjcjpk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:42 PM

Me too. Did you ever find an answer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! MJ

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:01 AM

Get VLC Player: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:45 PM

This is usually caused by Windows Explorer trying to render a preview of the movie and failing. Used to happen all the time with AVI files. Try this:

For Windows XP and earlier:
Click the Start menu, then Run.... In the Run box that appears, type: regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll and click "Ok". A window will pop up saying that the file has been unregistered successfully. (If you don't receive this window, or the window gives an error, then please post that in your reply.) Reboot your computer and see if the problem persists.

For Windows Vista and later:
Click on Vista Start button. In the Start Search box, type in cmd. Right click on the Command Prompt in the search result listing and select the Run as Administrator menu item. In the command prompt that opens (looks like an old DOS prompt) type this command: regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll A window will pop up saying that the file has been unregistered successfully. (If you don't receive this window, or the window gives an error, then please post that in your reply.) Reboot your computer and see if the problem persists.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users