Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Small Upgrade Build

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ATARi

ATARi

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:55 PM

Hey, my case recently almost fell apart and luckily nothing inside was damaged. On top of that I'm deciding on either upgrading my Graphics card or do an SLi.

My graphics card is currently the EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+. Would it benefit more if I buy another GeForce 9800 GTX+ and perform the SLi or just upgrade the card? My motherboard is the ASUS nForce 750i.

With that in mind, I'm needing to upgrade the case to a more durable one that could fit either (2) 9800 GTX+'s or just upgrading to a different card and see if I can get a smaller case. Also with the case in mind, I need something with good wire management.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:27 PM

A 9800 GTX is about $100 or so and two of those cards are only truly surpassed in SLI by high-end cards, like the Radeon 5870. I use two 9800 GTX cards in SLI and they work well with good framerates in most games, though, I don't play anything that truly taxes them. If you're going for two 9800 GTX's, you need to have a good power supply and a full ATX case. Cases can get expensive since shipping is usually high. Aluminum is lightweight though durable but steel is fine if the case isn't going to be moved. Side vents, windows, or fans will make the case more noisy. Here are some full ATX suggestions:

Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-US-BA-WOPSU Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - I think it is tacky and loud, but the rebate covers shipping costs. $69 (Before $25 mail-in rebate)

ENERMAX Uber Chakra ECA5001B - A big case with free shipping and plenty of airflow. $114

COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP - This is one of the most elegant cases I've seen, it is pricey. $169

3939.png

#3 ATARi

ATARi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:45 PM

I currently have a 750W PSU hooked up, would that be sufficient to run the SLI?

Also thanks for the suggestions with the cases.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:11 PM

750W should be more than enough for SLI with the 9800 GTX.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users