Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to restore Windows this way...? Help please?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EmaWW

EmaWW

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:34 PM

Our Sony laptop (about 5 years old ) runs on Win XP Pro Pac 3 but the system doesnít feel right, is sluggish, some features like internet drivers network, CD etc are erratic and I was advised it is good idea to refresh/reinstall the system because all other measures like registry cleaning and so on donít help any more.

Just find that the manufacturers disk is nowhere to be found! Only backup I have is 2 restore disks I burned a while ago following the instructions from the in-built software Wizard.

The laptop manual says that if I use backup disks they will wipe out all installed programs as well. They are large number and set in particular ways and not all of them have their setup.exe any more.

The question - how to use my restore disks to refresh Windows system without erasing the software already installed?

Thanks for any easy to understamd guidance !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:02 AM

Your restore/recovery disks...are made in conformance with standards determined by the manufacturer of your system.

They determine how such function.

If the design of the restore mechanism is such that restore/recovery disks lead to a wipe/restoration...that is the manner in whcih the disks must be used.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users